Red Sky | Teen Ink

Red Sky

February 4, 2019
By emmaastewartt BRONZE, Turlock, California
emmaastewartt BRONZE, Turlock, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Red Sky immediately caught my attention when I read it was a post-apocalyptic novel.  This novel is about a middle-aged girl named Gwen who is barely able to pay her apartment rent and lives by herself.  When one day, she wakes up with an illness so physically painful that she feels she’s going to die. When she gets up to look outside the window, the sky is blood red.  She comes to find that a few others have contracted this strange others, very few surviving, one of the survivors being her neighbor, Jamie. They find each other and a few other survivors, Bronx, Maggie, Blair, and Gwen’s brother who was formally drug addicted.  Together, they survive in Gwen's small apartment space, avoiding going outside, coming in contact with others outside of their small group, staying away from the men in the gas masks and most importantly, avoiding death. I really enjoyed reading this book mainly because of how enthralling it was.  Each chapter ended with some huge cliff-hangers and each chapter was filled with events that made me want to continue reading. Not only was this book very well written and an interesting survival story, but it also had some good morals behind it. The most important one being to always stick together with whoever you have.  Lastly, the most important, that a task is better completed with many instead of just one.