These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly | Teen Ink

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly

By Kaitlynelgin BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
Kaitlynelgin BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly is a real page turner with suspense and the dirty truth around every corner. Many books are predictable; however, this book is nothing of the sort. While reading this book, my detective side could not keep itself contained. This book carries us through one woman’s journey from fulfilling others’ expectations to being her own independent and diligent self. We read of the many predicaments and thoughts of Miss Jo Montfort.  

As many young women in her time, Jo Montfort is on track to graduate and is to be married to a wealthy bachelor, Bram. She secretly desires to become the next Nellie Bly, an investigative journalist. However, becoming a female writer in her family is frowned upon. Her life took an unexpected turn when her father, a smart and affluent man, was found dead in his home office. It was assumed that he accidently shot himself while cleaning his loaded revolver. Jo, on the other hand, disgrees. She took it upon herself to find out the real truth behind her father’s unexpected death.

Along the way, Jo met an editor from her father’s newspaper named Eddie. They were the detective duo. Much of Eddie’s past is brought up through their time together, and old friends join their investigation, including Fay and Oscar. Fay is forced to be a locksmith by her abusive owner, and Oscar is the animated med student that would examine bodies to figure out the likely reason for their demise. The outside world struck Jo as corrupt and morbid. The more into the investigation she gets, the more secrets were uncovers, the more the chemistry grew between her and Eddie, and the harder it became to turn back. Secrets of the shipping firm her father had owned, the clients he had, and the people she trusts are far more horrific than Jo could have ever guessed. Soon she is in too deep and the truth is even more sordid than she could ever imagine.

Jennifer Donnelly does a terrific job hitting many reader’s sweet spot. This is a perfect match for anyone who loves an adventurous, action packed, murder mystery. It also suits the more true love, romance readers. Donnelly also includes a hint of historical qualities, along with many unexpected plot twists. I personally love the growing chemistry between Eddie and Jo, the constant surprises, the action packed mystery, and the development the Jo goes through to face her family and become the person that she aspires to be. These Shallow Graves is a book that should be on many to-read lists.