One of Us Is Lying | Teen Ink

One of Us Is Lying

By PK725 SILVER, Santa Monica, California
PK725 SILVER, Santa Monica, California

At Bayview High, five students share a fateful detention. What they know is that they each embody a classic stereotype: Bronwyn’s the genius, headed for the Ivy League; Addy is the popular princess, attached by the hip to her boyfriend; Cooper is the jock, probably about to be drafted into the MLB; Nate is the criminal, with drug-dealing rumors swirling all around him; Simon is the outcast- after all, who would ever befriend the boy who runs “About That”, a gossip app that spills all the innermost secrets of students at Bayview?

What they don’t know is that by the end of detention, one of them will end up dead.

As the other four are investigated for murder, they must work together and with others to figure out: Who killed Simon?

What first drew me to this book was, admittedly, my dislike for “The Breakfast Club”, and  a hope that a more murderous version of the film would spice up the theme. However, I hadn’t expected such an amazing, creative plot that twists and turns every which way until the final mystery is solved. This is the kind of story that feels familiar, and yet you’ll be on the edge of your seat trying to figure out the truth behind Simon’s death. I also found it impressive that Karen M. McManus was able to breathe life into four very different protagonists. I had been wary about the stereotypical cliques seeming fake (as with The Breakfast Club), they all feel like normal high schoolers- only, they have to use their skills to decipher a crime that could have them sentenced for life. I also like the way that they interact with outside characters- family is clearly important to each of these characters, and each expresses it differently.

If you’re looking for your next YA read, this page-turner will lead you on a rollercoaster of an adventure that all stems back to an hour in detention.