Dracula Book Review | Teen Ink

Dracula Book Review

November 22, 2019
By Eman1234 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Eman1234 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     “The mouth was redder than ever, for on the lips were gouts of fresh blood, which trickled from the corners of the mouth and ran down over the chin and neck.” As you turn each page of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, horrifying and vivid descriptions will make you clutch your neck protectively. Published in 1897, this horror novel is one of the first books to address the topic of vampires. Dracula is set in the late 1800s in Transylvania and England and is narrated through a series of letters and diary entries that describe the characters’ journey to destroy the evil Count Dracula. 

     Stoker’s use of descriptive language and his elaborate word choice in the novel not only transport the reader back to the 1800s but also create a captivating yet chilling plot. Instead of confusing the reader, the constant switching among multiple perspectives enhances the story and helps it flow. In addition, the author’s precise language adds to the eerie feeling created by mysterious events throughout the story. When Jonathan Harker is in Transylvania and is being brought to Count Dracula’s castle, the author clearly depicts the sinister nature of the event: “[...] just then the moon, sailing through the black clouds, appeared behind the jagged crest of a beetling, pineclad rock, and by its light I saw around us a ring of wolves, with white teeth and lolling red tongues, with long, sinewy limbs and shaggy hair. They were a hundred times more terrible in the grim silence which held them than even when they howled.” This example of Stoker’s phrasing not only provides great visuals but also gives a sense of his strong writing style. 

     Character development is also well done, and every figure in the story has an impact on the plot. The reader can’t help but sympathize with the struggles of each individual in the face of danger. In one of her diary entries, Mina Murray (the main female protagonist) observes something suspicious about her friend Lucy: “I looked at her throat just now as she lay asleep, and the tiny wounds seem not to have healed. They are still open, and [...] larger than before, and the edges of them are faintly white. They are like little white dots with red centres.” Here, Mina realizes that something is wrong with her friend and their friendship is eventually put to the test, which leads to Mina’s gradual change as a person. This also shows the in-depth quality of Stoker’s characters and, as the story progresses, the reasons they are dynamic. 

     A century-old setting, well-developed cast of characters, several plot twists, and a spooky mood are all contributing factors to Dracula’s success. I especially loved this book because it is one of the earliest-published novels I’ve read, and it gives readers a good idea of what European lifestyle was like during the 19th century. It also made me rethink the image of Dracula that society has created over time: while some traits of vampires found in modern stories contrast traits of those in older stories (resistance to sunburn), other traits have remained the same (superhuman strength, lust for blood, good looks). When I reached the end of Dracula, I knew I had been right in deciding to read it. 

     Dracula isn’t all scary scenes, vampirical events, and blood and gore; its underlying themes are universal. Focused mainly on good vs. evil, this story tries to prove how, in the end, good always prevails. Although the main message might seem childish, the way Stoker is able to convey it through a horror story is one-of-a-kind. The author also presents several motifs that recur throughout the story, such as sanity (or lack of), death, religion, science, and superstition. The combination of these themes and motifs teach the reader life lessons, such as how some things shouldn’t be ignored, and how what we see as insignificant can turn out to be very costly. Despite the fact that these themes and messages are relatable (and regardless of the fantastical events), some of the implied themes present in this novel are less appropriate for readers of younger ages; due to some mature content, this novel is meant for young adult/adult audiences.

     Overall, this novel is a glass of blood to all bloodthirsty, horror-loving fans. However, even those not normally intrigued by works of horror will find themselves strangely satisfied by this well-written story about the growth of modernity in the Victorian era of English society. This piece certainly left me shivering in anticipation for the next horror novel I decide to read.