paper 3 | Teen Ink

paper 3

The Everyday Use story is a magnificent story that is written by Alice Walker.

The story was made in 1973. The story was about African American mother that is single raises

two daughters which have a different characteristic and meaning of heritage and their life. The

story is based on the era of racial separation that happen between the communities of diverse

ethnicity in the story. Mama was a strong big-boned woman with hands of a working man, and

rough. She does several ways to show many ways of her heritage that are difficult to realize. In

the story, she shows the two sisters that have different views and personalities in heritage, these

two where Dee and Maggie. Mama recognize the difference between both daughters. Mama

finally understands how Maggie felt in the story and that she felt special and deserving in a way

to the point that her sister had seem to always have felt. They believe to deny the American

people side and think they are disrespectful of other ancestors and to harmful to themselves.

Despite that, society view race and ethnicity does influence individual identity and social

stratification in this story because individuals understand the present life in the relation to

traditions of the people and the culture.

In society, people would not care about where they came from and especially kids also

because they don’t know the past at all. In the story “Everyday Use” Dee told her Maggie and

her mother that they do not understand their background hence, they planned to put the quilts.

People see heritage in different ways. The story shows that Dee is not sure about the black

tradition and does not know anything about it just like today how no one know one single thing

about their heritage. Her confusion about what defines heritage also does emerge to when her

attitude in the story towards the household items and the quotes also. Dee was not the only one

that was confused in the story about her heritage but other were confused. Dee believe that she

was trying to change her name, appearance, and her manners by just affirming her African

background, hence, her family lived in the united states of American for couple of generations.

Therefore, the greatest example of Dee’s confusion of the author Alice Walker’s beliefs was the

family heritage should be alive, kept going and just frozen to the point it is forgotten and never

remembered.

Race structures the economic and social conditions of the characters daily lives in the

story “Everyday Use”. Society most people don’t know they ancestry or race history. Dee

challenges the racial status in the story and refuses to take part of the race as it is evitable. She

does not accept her race in “Everyday Use”. The history of racism does not only drive away from

not just mama but the whole family past. She attempts to transcend the expectations of racial

in the race community and racism, the family ways of differing it and reacting to it, and the time

period. Throughout the story, racism was looked in a way that affects everyone in different ways.

Society today, most people would not care about what their race went through and the

privileges and rights, they received. People take it for granted and should appreciate on what

ancestry did for them. Black are disconsolate about the country’s racial progress. On the other

hand, in today’s society people do not really know much about their race and the history on what

happen in the past.