Win the Day Book Review | Teen Ink

Win the Day Book Review

By wyattrich2 BRONZE, Leander, Texas
wyattrich2 BRONZE, Leander, Texas

"We are what we believe we are." - CS Lewis

The power of connection, caring, and core values are the most key components in a successful team culture. Dr. Jerry Lynch discusses team values in his nonfiction guide, Win the Day. Lynch talks about many successful teams in sports like the Seahawks and the Warriors and what they do on a normal day to be great. One of the most important values a team needs to have is the team’s culture needs to be connected and authentic - all working for the same end goal. The phrase “Win the Day” is a culture that Dr. Lynch lives by and tries to instil this culture in the reader for the ultimate team success. Throughout the book, the overall and underlying theme is selflessness and Dr. Lynch displays this through his purpose and emphasis on a team first attitude.

Selflessness brings athletes and teammates together in order to win and be the best team possible. Dr. Jerry Lynch's close friend, Coach Phil Jackson believes, “... that good teams become great ones when they adopt the notion of selflessness,” which will lead to teammates starting to “trust each other, and get beyond the ‘me’ for the ‘we’” (30). This idea of good teams becoming great teams only happens when players put the team first and have a sense of pride for
the team and not themselves has worked for many successful powerhouses. Lynch mentions Steve Kerr’s Golden State Warriors and how it “... goes beyond the Xs and Os. These teams create environments in which trust is established” (30). Throughout the book, Lynch preaches the notion of a team first culture and how when players put trust in one another special things can and will happen on the court. In Win the Day, the motive Dr. Jerry Lynch tries to draw out of the reader is a team first attitude. When a team is unified and all working and dedicating their lives to one goal, championships happen. Coach Phil Jackson compares an NBA Championship culture “to a tribe of warriors- a unified cohesive group with a strong core of values and a sacred quest” (35-36). This analogy perfectly illustrates how important working together is, this is true in not just sports but
everywhere in life - work is easier and a higher quality when working within a group. I love how this book gives goals that the reader should set for themselves to act out the main components in the book. For example, “Compete with and challenge my teammates in practice, because I love them.” (53). These challenges help clarify the main purpose and what to focus on in the novel, but also personalizes and gives a goal to do each and every day to ultimately become successful.

This book helps model and sustain a Win the Day culture which is created through small simple steps each day to build and grow a championship level mindset. The emphasis on the theme of selflessness portrays the true author's purpose of writing this book, which is putting the team over yourself breeds success. I challenge everyone to read this book because the simple lessons taught can be used in every facet of life to increase productivity and promote the people around
you.

I am a junior at Hyde Park Highschool and I am in hopes to recieve college scholarships. I love sports and looking to play club sports in college. I have just finished reading, Win the Day, by Jerry Lynch and it changed my perspective on life.