A Purple Hibiscus | Teen Ink

A Purple Hibiscus

By Phoenix12823 GOLD, Fairfax, Virginia
Phoenix12823 GOLD, Fairfax, Virginia

A purple hibiscus is a rare hybrid; the genetic offspring of two red hibiscus species and also a symbol of integrated cultures in Purple Hibiscus. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie writes about Kambili, a timid Nigerian girl vulnerable to her father’s abuse under the pretense of Christianity. Kambili gradually changes after being introduced to a new lifestyle at Aunt Ifeoma’s house, where she is given freedom and encouraged to think and mature.

This process starts when Kambili interacts with Amaka, then later observes her chattering with her friends; Adichie highlights a shift in Kambili’s behavior after she realizes the difference between herself and Amaka, progressing from a passive onlooker to a person who starts to want things for herself. This emphasis shows the beginnings of her character development beyond the frightened girl her father bred.

The book details the slow progression. At first, Kambili is unable to speak and communicate effectively. She wishes Aunty Ifeoma were there to speak for her against Amaka’s jealousy-fueled jabs, because she is too vulnerable to defend herself. Later, when Amaka’s friends visit, Kambili takes time to describe their appearance and actions because she almost sees the girls as another type of species. These girls had hair as short as Amaka’s in contrast to Kambili’s long hair, wore shiny lipstick in contrast to her bare face, and spoke about things that she had never thought about before. Kambili’s presence is muted in this passage, resembling more of a shadow in the background than a girl. Even when she attempts to speak, her lips “held stubbornly together,” (141) trapped by her fear of ridicule and stuttering (both most likely caused by her father). Instead of working up the confidence to give a verbal reply, she “started to cough and then ran out… “ (141), choosing to escape from an unfamiliar situation, as she never voiced her thoughts so strongly at her house. The subtle descriptions of Kambili’s exclusion allows the reader to form connections with Kambili, understand the extent of Papa’s influence on her personality, and view the contrast between her and the other girls.

However, a new side of Kambili emerges from beneath her quiet exterior. Adichie uses repetition of the word “want” in the passage to show Kambili’s newfound urge to belong with Amaka and her friends. When Kambili says “I wanted to tell the girl that it was all my hair… I wanted to talk with them, laugh with them so much …” (141) she realizes the chasm that bridges between her and the other girls and the wedge driven between them by her father and his religious beliefs. She gradually longs to join Amaka and her friends in their frivolous teenager activities, something her father would never have approved of. This shift changes her character from someone trapped within Papa’s teachings into a human who can think and “want” things for herself.

Throughout Kambili’s life, her father had dictated how she could think, grow, and act, and expected her to conform to his expectations. Kambili’s failed attempts at interaction in this passage showed she had not fully overcome this trauma, the same way a purple hibiscus is a hybrid, not an entirely new species. However, her attempt to socialize was new; after being exposed to Amaka and her friends, Papa’s oppression of Kambili’s personality weakened. She began to want things out of her own desire to belong, not just fear of punishment or sin. However, if Kambili had never met Papa, she could have grown up just like the other girls, who had less understanding of familial love and making sacrifices. Therefore, her strength came from experiencing the combination of her lifestyles. Papa taught her religion, a strong work ethic, and fear. Amaka and Aunty Ifeoma gave her love and confidence. This rare merging connects her to the idea of becoming the hybrid purple hibiscus, a symbol of freedom in the novel.

When I read this book "Purple Hibiscus" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, I was deeply touched. I felt aching for Kambilli and her brother; meanwhile I also feel hopeful for them. I especially related to Kambilli, a timid and shy girl to emerge into a stronger one. I recognize the importance of the cultural envioronment during anyone's character developement just like Kambilli and feel happy for her that she has just a aunt.