Utopian 1984 Can Be Real 2044 | Teen Ink

Utopian 1984 Can Be Real 2044

By CamelliaZ BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
CamelliaZ BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania

1984 by George Orwell is one of the most famous dystopian novels. Absurd and reasonable, surprising but acceptable, Orwell’s imaginary world is an exaggerated version of the world as he saw it in 1948 and may still be a valid version of the world today. In the novel, the main character, Winston Smith, rebels against and then submits to a controlling and rigid hierarchy, filled with crazy, paranoid people willing to do anything in their pursuit of power. Take it either as a reflection of things as they are or a sign of things to come, the story is a warning sign.

One word that dominates my thoughts of the novel is simplification. In the book, simplification is essential for control, and makes it easy for people to take charge and keep control. For example, by setting rules for diary-making, public ceremonies and even people’s memories, leaders monopolize people’s perceptions and sensations. Having the right thoughts and the correct attitudes are more important than human feelings as children are turned against their parents for “thought crimes.” This is because a manufactured “truth” is valued above anything else, leaving no one to dare think about an alternate explanation for things or to criticize for one moment a suppressive system. Seemingly faithful pursuers of the only right way to be, people in Orwell’s oversimplified world are robots who follow one another and listen to whatever the head people say. Not wanting to be different from the crowd, or able to be different, is dangerous, not only because people are deprived of individual rights, but also because every time we eliminate the emergence of an “outsider,” we reinforce the already strong thinking process of the suppressive system. In the world of 1984 simply taking control of people politically using armed force is not enough to “assemble” citizens, since the underlying creativity still exists. Therefore, an even further step is taken in 1984 to limit communication by deleting unnecessary expressions, which Orwell calls “newspeak.”  By replacing writing with speaking, substituting adjectives with only antonyms, and inserting official memories into people’s heads, people’s lives change to a simple yet universal experience.

This is happening today. Today, people are getting rid of the fancy adornments in speech, tired of deep thinking and afraid of possible redundancy in writing. Think about how people’s evaluation of the world has changed over the years, the changes in complex feeling coming out our mouths, and how much of what say about the world is ironic and disingenuous. When we cover all the colorful brush strokes with white painting, we are left with concord and unification, but why can’t we appreciate the chaos formed by blinks and flashes of ideas the same way? Transforming complexity to simplicity makes life seem easy, but what if the meaning of living is not to be as convenient and ease as possible?

Another main theme in the novel is the conflict between the main character and the society, or, put another way, the conflict between a rebellious nonentity and forceful leaders. Winston works in the Ministry of Truth, where he alters historical records to fit the needs of the Party. Although he is aware of the supervision and regulations, he never truly follows the direction of the big brothers but instead attempts to write down his thoughts in a diary as well as establish a relationship with a girl called Julia.

The rebellion against the domination of the state leads him to set up a line of private defense, protecting his independent mind from the brainwashing-like infusion of instructions. Unlike other books in which “positivity” always wins the battle against evil, Winston Smith is broken by the end of the book, when his rebellion ends in full devotion to the party, which signifies the helplessness of lower-ranking people in face of the power of the state. Winston finally gives up because he sees he is fighting for nothing, and he cannot take the pressure and loneliness. The moment he loses love and mind, he becomes a walking tool like everyone else, a screw at the mercy of the upper class. Even though the dystopia in 1984 is meant to reveal the dark side of a “perfect” society, it is likely that George Orwell himself does not believe in people’s determination and willingness to battle 1984’s overwhelming force. Frankly speaking, challenging authority and political rigidity requires both time and courage which are so difficult to seize from a society where you cannot find a supportive company once you decide to stand at the opposite side.

The choice between wanting to belong and insisting on your personal rights has always been a hard one. We might have blamed George Orwell for thinking so pessimistically about the future. However, the book’s pessimistic ending is the best illustration of the mass-oriented world we currently live in. If we don’t find a second person who perceives the world the way we do, doubts and concerns arise. What if being publicly accepted does not necessarily mean being the fittest? Why would people give up their beliefs only to be like everyone else? The terrible situation in which Winston is stuck in is not that far off from what people are experiencing today.

Many people believe 1984 to be a successful critique and tragedy. But it also seems like a realistic picture of the political control in an over unified society. When people lose control over their minds, they lose the last weapon against being controlled and thus they lose the power to decide for themselves. Would it be the ending of human beings with the phones, cries, and governments? Only 2044 knows.