Unbroken By Lauren Hillenbrand Book Review | Teen Ink

Unbroken By Lauren Hillenbrand Book Review

By 3paddock BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3paddock BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

At first when  I looked into reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, I found the main topic interesting; but after getting into the book I was engrossed in the writing and the story telling. This story is nonfiction so everything that happened in the story is real and was translated into a book for people to read and enjoy. 

The book starts out when the main character, Louie, was just a child and you get to see how he grew up and what important events shaped his life. The story starts out with a young Louie Zamperini living in Torrance, California where he is a bit of a troublemaker in his town, constantly on the run from people he messed with. Louie grew up running mostly away from things but later in life when he was in high school he was recruited by his brother to join the track and field team where he was a record breaking runner. Until WWII broke out and he decided to join the military as an airman. 

I was immersed into the book through the amazing descriptions Hillenbrand gave in each setting in the book. It really helped me picture what was happening in my head. An example of this is when they are giving a description of the bombers Louie was flying in “Flat faced and rectangular, it had the looks only a nearsighted mother could love. Crews called it ‘the Flying Brick’” (Hillenbrand, 54). This is one of the details Hillenbrand uses to help the reader get a better understanding of what things were like back in the time period and how the people there described their experiences with these things.

Another thing I liked about this book is how the author used different perspectives to show other soldiers' experiences. For example instead of just talking about Louie's experience in the POW(Prisoner of War) Camps, the author utilized different stories of different camps around Japan to show how in each place the prisoners experienced the same harsh treatment and torture by the Japanese soldiers.  

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes WWII or Nonfiction books. Even if you don’t like those topics I still think this book is a good read because everything that happened in the book happened in real life; I think that people should learn about what happened to the soldiers in WWII. Overall this book was good, the descriptions used and the perspectives of multiple different soldiers made this book in my eyes a definite read.