Dear Edward: review | Teen Ink

Dear Edward: review

By s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey
s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey

you are a woman with a man inside watching a woman. you are your own voyeur -margaret atwood

This book is told both over the course of a day that changes Edward’s life, as well as Edward’s life after the event. First, we are introduced to Edward’s family as they board a plane to move from NYC to LA. Edward and his older brother are both homeschooled and are closely connected. The book takes us through some other passenger’s backstories and lives. There’s a Wall Street businessman pining after the flight attendant, a veteran with a secret and a woman who’s running away from her husband. All in all, a group of people who were just thrown together by the plane. And everything seems fine- until the plane crashes, killing 191 people- all the passengers except for 12 year old Edward. Now, left with nobody, he is whisked away to his childless aunt and uncle in New Jersey. But what are they supposed to do with their nephew, who they never really bonded with before? How does Edward move on and become a normal kid after losing everything? With the help of his bold neighbor Shay, who’s his age, Edward eventually has to learn how to piece back together his life and live in a world where everything has changed for him. I liked how this book was written, with the chapters alternating between Edward’s new life and what happened on the plane. As the book goes on, you start to learn more about the backstory as well as still being interested in how Edward is coping.