Clean Getaway by Nic Stone | Teen Ink

Clean Getaway by Nic Stone

By AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Look, I didn't want to be a halfblood."

Have you ever wondered if your family has any secrets? Any deep, dark secrets that impact everybody? Well, Scoob has one that he would never have thought of. Join him as he embarks on a journey with his G’Ma on a Clean Getaway

Personally, this book was a little too short for me. If the words were not so big, it would barely be fifty pages. Do not get me wrong, the book is suspenseful, funny, and creative but it could have been better in some places. From the very first hint, I knew what was truly going to happen. It was far too obvious, especially with the five hints every chapter. It was exhausting.

My favorite character was Scoob. I loved how, despite claiming to be older now, he let his G’Ma still call him nicknames. He’s sweet, smart, caring, and curious. He fights a lot with his dad but when G’Ma takes him so far away and doesn’t let him contact his father, he starts getting suspicious. He is very alert, which I think is important for a character. When he turns on the campers TV, he is shocked. Curious what might it be? Guess you will just have to read the book to find out. 

On a scale of one to ten, this book is a solid five. The writing was good and for a beginner in reading, they would probably enjoy this book. Unfortunately, this book was a little too basic for me. It was also too predictable and I feel like there was little to no character development. The reason it scored so well was because I liked the humor in it. That was it.

If you are a beginning reader, I suggest you read this book. If you want a quick read, you should read it. If you need to write a book report, pick something else. It’s not worth getting a fifty. That sounds a little harsh but believe me, you’ll understand.

This is probably one of my harshest reviews yet. If you disagree, I understand. This was just my brutal opinion.