Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

November 4, 2022
By AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
32 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Look, I didn't want to be a halfblood."


“Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.” This quotes clinged readers from the beginning as they follow Percy Jackson, a 12-year old demigod, on his journey around the nation. The Lightning Thief is a humorous fantasy that is perfect for readers of all ages.


I absolutely love this book and recommend it to everybody. I first read this book in elementary school, despite it being a middle school level read. I loved everything about it. It wasn’t predictable at all and each character has their strengths and weaknesses that develop throughout the novel. The narrator, Percy Jackson, makes the story funnier each moment.


My favorite character has to be Annabeth Chase. She is the daughter of Athena and she is, by far, the strongest character in the book. This may be debatable but hear me out. While other characters can control water or lightning, Annabeth is tactical and strong. She is quick so she can easily identify a weak spot and defeat the enemy with her dagger. Sometimes, her emotions get the better of her but that is part of her flaw that will prove to be beneficial eventually.


On a scale of one to ten, this book is an eleven. This is the best book I have ever read! The characters and dialogue are phenomenal. It is a well-written novel with tons of other series that follow it. It truly keeps the readers engaged. The battle scenes are descriptive and truly make you feel like you are in the fight.  I don’t think I have ever met anybody who didn’t like this book and I don’t think I will.


I recommend this book to advanced elementary students, middle school students, or anybody else who is looking for a nice read. If you are a fantasy lover, I know you’ll love it. If you are a beginner reader, add it to your list! Once you read it, I know you’ll have something to write about.