A Red white and blue book review | Teen Ink

A Red white and blue book review

November 18, 2022
By Alex-scheller BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Alex-scheller BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

All American Boys, by Jason Reynolds and Brendon Kiely, is a powerful look at equality. It is a good realistic fiction book and it shows how in modern times, police would treat people differently by the color of their skin. It talks about a black kid named Rashad who just experienced police brutality. Quinn, on the other hand, is the other main character. He is a white kid who watched as a police officer hurt a kid who was black. This changed his view on the world because one of his best friends was a cop. He felt different about cops now and he really was confused on what to think.

I really enjoyed All American Boys. It was a fresh look into police brutality. It showed me more than what I knew, not just what happens, but what happens after. It shows how police brutality affects family and friends. It is more of a PG-13 book but that made it even better. It is more honest that way. It has a great theme of overcoming racism. The authors did a great job making me feel like I was really there, like I was a part of the book's story. I would recommend the book if you like a true, honest look at the world.