Boost Book Review | Teen Ink

Boost Book Review

By savannah-lowe BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
savannah-lowe BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Being a teenager and wanting to be the best is hard, but for Savvy Christopher she doesn't seem to think so. Savvy is a 13- year old girl and stands at 6 '2 and she takes her chances and tries out for Fire 18u basketball team she makes the 18u team. She's much younger than the rest of the girls, but she thinks that it's not that big of a deal, but little does she know, it's going to get rough. She gets pushed around by the older girls, and she gets fewer chances, but later on she finds out her sister has been going through much worse. Savvy works hard in the gym; she's a determined young girl who pursues her passion and works day and night to be the best. Callie, her sister was super unfit, but over the summer before cheerleading season, she got back in shape. They both took the risk to be the best that they can be, but at what risk?

I think that the book Boost, by Kathy Mackel, is a phenomenal story. She really portrays the idea of being a teenager and trying to be the best that you can be. Boost is a realistic fiction novel, Mackel shows the determination and drive that many teenagers have and what they will do to be the greatest. I love the writing style and how Mackel wrote the novel. I would recommend this book to teenagers, 7-12 just because it's talking about a teenager and what the experiences of two teenagers wanting to be the best. I strongly like this book because it just relates to me, and it is a story that made me want to really find out what happened at the end. It showed me that stories can relate to your own personal life.