Review Blitz - Caged Bird | Teen Ink

Review Blitz - Caged Bird

November 27, 2022
By Extrasweet DIAMOND, Tenafly, New Jersey
Extrasweet DIAMOND, Tenafly, New Jersey
94 articles 24 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever" - Walt Disney


Caged Bird by Maya Angelou was one of the best poetry that I've ever read. Maya Angelou is such a wonderful poet and I love her poems so much. There were seven lines per stanza until the second stanza in this piece. After that, it's 8-4-4-8. There isn't a specific rhyme in each stanza but it does show some rhyme in specific places. It's like a story within the poem but also conveys a bigger meaning.

My favorite lines in the poem was 'His wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing." and also "and the fat worms waiting on a dawn bright lawn and he names the sky his own". I love the first line because it shows the resilience that the bird has and the second line also shines because it comes right after the caged bird sings to the free bird for help. It shows the problem in how the free bird wants to leave the caged bird to play in the sunlight.

This poem was about two free and caged birds. The caged bird sings for help from the free bird but the bird that's not caged or in a cage longs for the breeze. He eventually leaves the caged bird on its own but in the end, the caged bird is eventually heard.

This poem's not only about the caged bird and the free bird. It also acknowledges the flaws in our society and how people tend to ignore the people who really need help. This poem's like a wake up call to people around the world. It's urging the people to help each other and be selfless instead of selfish.

Since this poem was so beautiful, I wanted to continue thinking about it and made questions that went along with it. 1. What was your favorite part of this poem? 2. How does Maya Angelou convey the situation as small as a bird into a story?