Review Blitz - Geek Girl | Teen Ink

Review Blitz - Geek Girl

By Extrasweet DIAMOND, Tenafly, New Jersey
Extrasweet DIAMOND, Tenafly, New Jersey

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever" - Walt Disney

Geek Girl, by Holly Smale was so fun to read! It was captivating and engaging. There were facts within each section. Ex) 'This might surprise you, but here's a fact, people who plan things thoroughly aren't particularly connected to reality. It seems like it but they're not'. With those fun facts, I was able to focus on the story more and have fun reading. There was also a slow progression of the plot. There are many details that helps the reader visualize the scene but it doesn't move the story forward probably because it's a series book.

My favorite quotes were "And just as quickly as it started fitting back together, my whole world falls apart again." in page 268. I love this quote because it signifies that things might go as quickly as it comes so we should seize the moment. My second favorite quote is, "Somewhere on the other side of the curtains is a huge audience, and in that audience is Dad, waiting for me to be amazing. It's time to prove to him what I can be" in page 245. I chose this as my next favorite quote because it's amazing for people to learn confidence even in the midst of nervousness.

This book was about a teenage girl, Harriet. She tries to become a model despite her stepmother's will. Harriet doesn't want to (and doesn't fit) to be a model but she keeps on trying to impress the people around her. The theme of this book is to not change who you are just because of other people's ideas about you. The main character of this book is normally a girl wholikes studying and facts. However, she let her best friend and friends bully her because of it. That was why she first started to want to be a model despite the sadness within her. Harriet tries to change who she was just because of others' opinions which is more than horrible.

Since it was such a thoughtful book that has much more than what says on the surface, I made some questions to go with it, 1. How does Harrier's life (fictional) relate to real life? 2. What's the 'stake' in this story? What hangs on the line?