Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover | Teen Ink

Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover

By PeytonT921 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
PeytonT921 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“People say you fall in love, but fall is such a sad word when you think about it. Falls are never good. You fall on the ground, you fall behind, you fall to your death. Whoever was the first person to say they fell in love must have already fallen out of it. Otherwise, they’d have called it something much better”. This quote is by the famous writer, Colleen Hoover. Looking at any teenage girl, I can confidently say that they’ve heard her name. Whether they’ve heard her from people talking about her famous books at school or through the internet. I personally heard about her from the girls at my school. They would come in each week with a new book by her, and I wanted to know so bad what the big deal was. I then bought my own book, Reminders of Him, where the quote at the top comes from. I had really high expectations for this read, and I can say that it very much exceeded them. It was a jaw dropping book, I finished it in 3 days, but normally with other books, it would take me months to finish. The plot, romance, and heartbreak involved in this book pulls the reader right in. 

Reminders of Him has a heart warming plot that leaves readers crying at the end. Single mom, Kenna Rowan gets out of a five year prison. She's determined to meet her 4 year old daughter, Diem, who she had in prison. But how will she get to her when she is completely locked out of Diems life? The whole story, Kenna had to go through rough stages, and it was adoring to me, because Kenna was willing to experience them to have a relationship with her daughter. Kenna had dealt with Scotty, her boyfriend, dying, not getting to meet her daughter, and prison, yet she hasn't given up on the point of life. She had to break through Scotty's loyal family that Diem grew up in so she could meet her child. It was an eye-opener to see a strong woman defend herself without quitting. To give Kenna a helping hand, Ledger Ward gets in the midst of Kennas mission in this town. Although, not everything happens in the way he'd like it. The slow upcoming romance puts the perfect spin on the book. 

The growing romance between Ledger and Kenna is so amazing because it has to be a secret. With a small town they live in, there can't be any chances for people to find out what's going on between the two. Although the feelings for eachother haven't always been sunshine and flowers. Their relationship molded back and forth from a hate to love, back to hate, then love again. There was something so loving about Kenna that Ledger couldn't stay away from. I loved watching the two sneak around, like Ledger picking Kenna up from work, or seeing him travel to her apartment at night. It was compelling to me not knowing how long until Scotty's parents found out. As much as it was amusing to read about Kenna and Ledger's relationship, it was upsetting seeing how many struggles were added because of the resentment Scotty's family had against Kenna. 

Every character in this book was grieving and recovering from the tragedy of Scotty's death in different ways, and even though it was just a book, I still felt the heartbreak of all of them. I loved that Colleen Hoover wrote the story so the reader feels like they are a character as well. This book deals with a lot of mental pain and recovery. With Kenna feeling the blame of Scotty's death, and that one night causing her not being able to be a part of Diems life, had me tearing up while reading. It made me feel angry for her and like I wanted to jump in the book to help her out. At the same time, I also felt the emotions of Scotty’s heartbroken parents. I see their point of view on why they feel that way about Kenna. No matter what though, reading about everyone's feelings honestly made me feel the pain as well. Colleen Hoover did a great job at connecting all the emotions and feelings of this book to the reader. 

In all, the plot, romance, and heartbreak in Reminders of Him concluded why it was such an amazing book. Colleen Hoover was great at keeping me engaged the entire time; therefore, I zoomed through the book in what felt like 5 minutes. I highly recommend that any girl should give this a try if they are looking to read a book by Colleen Hoover, or even just a love story that leaves them wanting more. After giving this book a read, along with some other Colleen Hoover books, I saw why she is so famous in teenage girls' lives. Hoover writes about the love stories we imagine while trying to fall asleep. Reading Reminders of Him had me in an entirely different world. Saying that, I hope this convinced at least one person to go out and buy this book, or at least try it. Just like Colleen Hoover said “Keep an open mind, it's the only way new things can get in” 

This book is the best.