Embracing the Present | Teen Ink

Embracing the Present

October 28, 2023
By Ella_Li SILVER, Portland, Oregon
Ella_Li SILVER, Portland, Oregon
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

    In Mary Oliver’s poem “Starlings in Winter,” she conveys admiration for the vividness of starlings that encourages her to live in the moment and pursue a free, light-hearted soul. Oliver observes the starlings and describes, “[T]hey are acrobats / in the freezing wind”(5-6). She uses a metaphor to imply the connection between starlings and acrobats—the ultimate spirit of adventure of flipping in the air and confronting every risk without fear. By following their instincts and never dreading the present, the starlings naturally form perfection in their movements in which Oliver expresses amazement. The breathtaking performance of the starlings slips by so transiently like how acrobats swing by the stage that it enlightens Oliver about the deeper resonance of the value of embracing precious moments in life. Oliver writes, “Ah, world, what lessons you prepare for us,/even in the leafless winter,/even in the ashy city”(24-26). Oliver uses an apostrophe that speaks to the natural world to express her extraordinary emotions that couldn't be held inside towards the radiance of the starlings. By directly addressing the world, she shifts the perspective from detailed observation of starlings and takes a step back to look at the bigger picture—a lesson from nature that reveals the importance of living freely and letting grief and regrets stay in the past in order to obtain a light-hearted soul. The outpouring of fervor from the words spoken to the natural world indicates the release of her grief and replaces it with energy. Therefore, she is eager to have an unfettered body and appreciate the present as much as she can. Oliver conveys, “I want to be light and frolicsome. / I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing, / as though I had wings”(34-36). Oliver uses an anaphora that repeats the “I want” statements to emphasize the yearning in her heart to be light and adventurous. Her connection with the starlings is highlighted as she hopes she has wings to fly and be free of the weight of life. Much like Oliver, people experience different versions of grief and yearn for ideals in their lives. The key is to embrace the present moment in order to live freely without harboring any regrets.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.