Bridging Realities: A Review of 'All American Boys’ | Teen Ink

Bridging Realities: A Review of 'All American Boys’

February 29, 2024
By dada_dada BRONZE, Spencer, Massachusetts
dada_dada BRONZE, Spencer, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Two people. Two perspectives. Two races. Two struggles, all stemming from the same problem. Racism. All American Boys is a novel with tricky subjects, including separation between friends and family, but also shows that following your heart and morals will clear your conscience and set you free. Rashad (a black kid) and Quinn (a white kid) are both evolving teenagers living in Springfield when life suddenly comes to a halt. After accidentally tripping a woman at a convenience store, Rashad reaches into his bag to grab money for his chips. A police officer happens to witness this and assumes Rashad is attempting to steal something. This leads to a violent assault from the officer, which hospitalizes Rashad and nearly kills him. The plot comes together with Quinn's moral dilemma as he must decide whether or not to side with Rashad and the student body, or defend Paul, who basically raised him. It is captivating to see Quinn try and navigate the minefield of awkwardness and guilt of being white. It also demonstrates how issues that certain groups may think only apply to them actually connect everyone and affect everyone. In this case specifically, Quinn must walk on eggshells to ensure that no one assumes that he supports the discriminatory events that have happened. He also must face culpability for feeling like he could've done more to stand up against racism. While talking about drug usage to each other, English (one of Rashad's friends) said this: “Only white people do that s***.” (Kiely and Reynolds, 175). While English was standing up for Rashad, he delivered a racist comment himself, displaying a common stereotype. Individuals seriously worried about the development of racism should stop pointing fingers, ignore skin colors, and start working together to try and fix the system. Brendan Kiely also specified on his website that the purpose of the novel was to explore systematic racism and police brutality as well as their effects on all young people, not simply one race or the other (“Brendan Kiely”). It is clear to see that Rashad's beating ended up uniting the school community overall but also severed multiple personal relationships that Quinn had. Unlike other books, experiencing both perspectives provides a deeper understanding of the plot itself and also of the characters. It is also an entertaining way to gain perspective on someone else's life and what they have to go through. Personally, after reading this novel, I am enlightened to both sides of the situation, and even though I have not been put under circumstances of this gravity, I can feel the uncomfortable tension from it. Reading this book would be beneficial to anyone, as it can serve as a relatable outlet for kids in the same conditions. In my experience, it comforts me to know that there are other kids undergoing the same problems and that I am not alone. Though some say this book brings up topics too serious for kids so young, I feel it is important to acclimate students to the problems they will face in the near future. Overall, All American Boys teaches kids about real-life struggles and biases, and I feel that it can better prepare the youth for topics coming up that will shape the world as we know it.


The author's comments:

I am a freshman in highschool living in Massachusetts. I usually prefer creative writing but decided to try something different with this piece.