Society's Stowaway: Concealed Conflict | Teen Ink

Society's Stowaway: Concealed Conflict

March 1, 2024
By lylahw BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
lylahw BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

All throughout history, we hear of conflict in forms of war, violence and death. There are many historical events rooting in conflict, from Trojan battles to modern-day Civil Wars. Yet, we seldom hear stories of a person's internal conflict, the things which are not visible to society. Internal conflict formed from a person's past plays central roles in shaping one’s identity, from the ideas which they oppose to those they accept. For example, about the emotions or thoughts which lead to someone's actions, whether beneficial or detrimental. We rarely hear of how internal conflict with one’s past can force them to yield or resist a form of oppression within their society. Although no war or death is justified through a person's troubles in the past, it does bring attention to how a person's past is reflected in their present selves. This idea is clearly conveyed in the most widely studied novel ‘Things Fall Apart’, by Nigerian award-winning author Chinua Achebe. The novel follows the life of the protagonist, Okonkwo, as he strives to avoid his greatest fear: resembling his father. Okonkwo perceived his father, Unoka, as weak and afraid, or an Agbala, meaning ‘woman’, or a man with no titles. In the novel, Chinua Achebe develops this internal conflict through irony, foreshadowing and allegory as the protagonist struggles to escape from his past.

Achebe uses foreshadowing in order to develop suspense and mystery to the novel when exploring Okonkwo’s internal conflict. Achebe exhibits Okonkwo’s past, foreshadowing how it molds his present self. It allows the reader to think deeper about the characters, making the story more appealing and intriguing. Foreshadowing also gives the reader a sense of achievement when their hypothesis is correct. Throughout the book, there are many instances proving Okonkwo aspiring to be the exact opposite of his father, however, he eventually ends up resembling him. “Okonkwo was ruled by one passion - to hate everything that his father Unoka had loved.” (Achebe, p13) This shows how much Okonkwo cared about cutting himself off from his father. Unoka played a significant, if not the main, part in Okonkwo’s future self. Finally, in a morbid utilization of masterful foreshadowing, Okonkwo's conversation with his best friend, Obierika, is a hint of Okonkwo's ill-fatedness. After Obierika does a large favor for Okonkwo and his family, Okonkwo states, “I do know how to thank you.’ ‘I can tell you,’ said Obeirika, ‘kill one of your sons for me.’ ‘That will not be enough,’ said Okonkwo. ‘Then kill yourself,’ said Obierika.’” (Achebe, p142) Although both characters are having a joke, there is a dark side to their humor. During the earlier stages of the novel, Okonkwo killed one of his sons as a sacrifice. Obierika’s mention of both acts adds morbid significance when a reader recalls the killing of his son, Ikemefuna, in Okonkwo's hands earlier in the book. Achebe’s skillful use of foreshadowing keeps the reader on edge. It also makes the reader think, ‘I should’ve known,’ as they connect the puzzle pieces together to reveal the final image. 

Another way to develop suspense and depth is through irony. Connected to foreshadowing, Achebe masterfully presents how ironic some of Okonkwo’s actions are because of what has happened in his past. For example, when Okonkwo is battling with his own emotions, he takes out his rage on his wifes and kids. One time, he meant to shoot his wife, but he missed. The book states, “(Okonkwo) threw down the gun and jumped into the barn, and there lay the woman, very much shaken and frightened but quite unhurt.” (Achebe, p124) Later in the story, Okonkwo accidentally kills a villager's son with a gun. According to the law in his village, Umuofia, if a person kills another, they must be banished from their village for seven years. Okonkwo questions his beliefs as he thinks, “Why should a man suffer so grievously for an offense he had committed inadvertently?” (Achebe, p125) This is ironic, considering that when he intended to kill someone he missed, but later killed someone without meaning to. Another example of irony in Achebe’s novel is from a proverb in a well-known story to the people of Umuofia. The proverb is, “Never kill a man who says nothing.” (Achebe, p140) Okonkwo killed three people in the novel. The first, Ikemefuna, did as he was told, never once questioning Okonkwo’s choices or thoughts. Okonkwo only benefitted from Ikemefuna, as he was like a bridge between Okonkwo and his other son, Nwoye. The second and third people who Okonkwo killed were a villager’s son, whom Okonkwo didn’t know, and a court messenger, who he never directly spoke to. A final example of irony is how Okonkwo’s great efforts are in vain, as his strong desire to end up like Unoka leads to the opposite, even in ways he cannot control. For example, the novel states, “Unoka was an ill-fated man. He had a bad chi, or personal god, and evil fortune followed him to his grave, or rather to his death, for he had no grave,” (Achebe, p18) and later in the book, “Clearly his (Okonkwo’s) personal god or chi was not made for great things.” (Achebe, p131) This shows how both characters had bad chi. A chi isn’t something that a person can control, like destiny or fate, and no person can rise above their chi’s power. Okonkwo ironically ended up with bad chi, just like his father, after craving to be considered a successful, well-known man. Not only does irony add suspense, depth and dark humor, but these examples show how Okonkwo struggles with societal pressures and conflicting thoughts in his mind. 

Finally, Achebe develops conflict through allegory. He uses proverbs and stories which have been passed down through generations to show the significance in Okonkwo’s actions rooting from his past. Additionally, Achebe connects allegory in the book to real life. In both worlds, strength is found in stories passed through generations. These stories carry aspects of culture, history and identity which sometimes can’t be conveyed in other forms of art. It helps people deepen their roots and understanding of their ancestors and their values. This can include religion, traditions and more aspects of culture. In the novel, the author uses allegory to add more meaning and emotion to a character's actions. For example, the novel introduces locusts coming into Umuofia as a metaphor for the missionaries coming later on. It states, “At first, a fairly small swarm came. They were the harbingers sent to survey the land. And then appeared on the horizon a slowly-moving mass like a boundless sheet of black cloud drifting towards Umuofia.” (Achebe, p58) Okonkwo was accepting of the change in ways which have always been there, because its a pattern, its meant to be. However, he does not accept the missionaries, even before they came. He is afraid of change, and is ironically stuck in the past, after trying to escape for so long. As another example of allegory, the novel states, “A proud heart can survive general failure because such a failure does not prick its pride. It is more difficult and more bitter when a man fails alone.” (Achebe, p24/25) Okonkwo views pride as something which is gained from other people looking up at you, and if nobody acknowledges you, you’re alone, and a failure. Although this shows Okonkwo’s fear of failure, it also shows his fear of being alone. When he turned his back on Unoka, he lost his father completely. He lost one of the few people who cared for him, perhaps was even proud of him. Later in life, his actions catch up on him, as he forces himself to fit into society, for fear of loneliness. After Okonkwo is told these proverbs or stories, we can see his change in emotions and attitude. Achebe uses allegory to create a strong way for ideas and messages across. This adds more emotion and meaning to the novel.

These examples of irony, foreshadowing and allegory develop readers' thought process and emotions as Achebe shows the struggle for Okonkwo to escape his past. Achebe also connects his novel to real life issues. Towards the end of the novel, white missionaries start to emerge. Based on history, we can tell that this is the beginning of colonialism, enslaved peoples' trade and resistance. In the book, people resist through suicide, burning churches, and killing missionaries, just as in real life. As the reader analyzes the book, they also analyze history during this time period in Nigeria. Achebe not only connects to enslaved peoples' trade, but also to how internal conflict affects one's real life. A person’s past is the framework to their present selves. From the moment a baby is formed in the womb, the world starts affecting them. Whether beneficial, like the mother’s healthy diet, or detrimental, like their mother’s alcohol addiction. This chooses the wood to build the frame. Cedar or pine? Acacia or mahogany? Once they are born, their toddler memories become the adhesive. Did they go to a playgroup? Or spend their time wailing, starving in their room? Do they get nuts and bolts or super glue? Finally, a person's childhood affects the coarse sanding. Are they rugged and sharp or even and approachable? The things which affect this can be education, trauma, friends, enemies and much more. The framework, or past, is an essential piece molding a person, both physically and mentally. Furthermore, Achebe uses characters from the book to better convey big life lessons to the reader. A large message is that you cannot keep running from your fears, for eventually you will run the circumference of the world and end up right where you started. Okonkwo spent his life running from his fear of dying like his father. In the end, he died without a grave, just as his father, with no titles or names. However, if he had faced them, his ending would have turned out differently. A second life lesson which Achebe effectively gets across, is that a life spent alone is a life wasted. Again, Okonkwo’s life could’ve turned out happier had he spoken to someone about his internal conflict. Achebe’s use of lessons, plot, theme and more show how he is an incredibly complex writer. He uses many forms of literary devices to provoke more analytical thoughts and develop emotion and conflict throughout the novel.