The dawn of the Conscience: Re-reading the human souls' history | Teen Ink

The dawn of the Conscience: Re-reading the human souls' history

By mariemmohamed200713 BRONZE, Alexandria, Other
mariemmohamed200713 BRONZE, Alexandria, Other

In the deepest darkness, more obscure than the abyss, and in peril that surpassed the ravages of plagues, spreading like wildfire, for centuries the people lived under the talons of ignorance, and the beasts of the forest were more merciful to humans than humans were to themselves. Then a sun rose, outshining all others in its brilliance, its light transcending the senses, reaching the inner vision, witnessed with the eye of certainty, piercing the hearts and dwelling in the depths of the soul, guarding the thoughts and intermingling with the ideas. This was the dawn of human conscience on the land of Egypt, a land more precious than rivers of silver and gold. Its sky aglow with love and the warmth of hearts, its soil flourishing with abundance, the blood of its people coursing with pride and dignity, its laws the wellspring of modern civilization. Egypt is said to be the mother of the world, and the mother is a school that, if prepared properly, can raise a noble people. Egypt was the teacher, the guide, the incubator of all ancient and modern sciences, and though its morals may be but a drop in the ocean, that drop shall one day return as seas and rivers.

In this book, the writer James Henry Breasted tells us about the moral history of Egypt. While the kings of that time boasted about the number of their victims, "Senusret III" wrote that he ruled with justice and did not wrong anyone throughout his life. While the rulers taught their children pride and luxury at the expense of the people, "Merykaure" taught his son that the work of a righteous man is more beloved to God than the sacrifice of the wicked. Thus, the foundations of societal morality were laid in the Nile Valley, extending beyond small communities to become codified into law within a vast empire, followed by both the great and the small, the ruler and the subject. This was a flourishing law, the product of insightful minds and sensitive hearts.

The writer recounts many Egyptian-originated ethical principles that were enshrined in law, and how our ancestors focused on social matters, placing them as the highest priorities in their laws, for they knew that nations are defined by their morals first, and everything else second. The foundations of nations are their righteous laws, and nations guided by conscience are immortal, for good character is suitable for all times and places, outlasting time itself.

The book also discusses the laws of ancient Egypt, which were not mere lifeless letters, but were imbued with their authors' sensitive pens and feelings, becoming vital forces that influenced the readers, penetrating not only their ears but their very hearts, taking root and prevailing. It also makes comparisons between the laws of ancient Egypt and other civilizations like Babylon, contrasting their approaches to reward and punishment, and describing the motivations that led the Egyptians to establish this ethical civilization, based on their religious beliefs in the afterlife, reward, and retribution.

The author also discussed the means used by the Egyptians to spread morality. In the context of the proliferation of social media, there has been an increase in the examples of bad role models, and the commission of crimes has become evident. This has made it imperative to learn from the experience of our ancestors in this regard. They fought bad role models with their opposite, good role models. They understood the motivations of the youth and addressed them, approached their ideas, and rectified the imbalance in their conscience and souls. They guided them with the weapon of thought, not a wooden stick, while at the same time punishing the wrongdoer. As a result, the generations grew up aware. These wonderful examples have been repeated many times in Egyptian history, whether in the Pharaonic, Hellenistic, or Islamic eras, reinforcing and strengthening these principles. The author recounted stories of the authors' efforts to use examples close to the reader's heart and conscience, which helped them achieve their goal. The author also discussed the ancient Egyptians' veneration of knowledge and their aspiration for a better future.

The author explains that the Egyptians knew that the loftiness of the goal was accompanied by the proximity of the difficulties that may surround the path, the removal of barriers, and the paving of the way. They knew that diligence is a winning card, and that will and determination create miracles, overcoming obstacles. 

The author also discussed urban development in ancient Egypt and how they used it alongside the arts to convey their ideas and beliefs to individuals. They knew that the human mind cannot be stormed with weapons and swords, but the key to people's minds is the media, which has evolved over time. They knew that through these means, they could infiltrate poison into honey. And if these means were corrupted, the information in them would become like jewels buried in mud, losing their lustre, fading in beauty, and diminishing in charm over the years. 

Therefore, they distanced themselves from misinformation and adhered to the dissemination of their good ethics to preserve the purity of these means. They were keen on creativity and change, transforming mud and filth into genuine beauty and lustre. From the womb of sorrow, they gave birth to heroes, and their ethics were like precious gems that refused to live except in palaces, adorning the ugly until it became beautiful.

This book is a clear call for two of the most important matters:

- The first is that good morals and enlightened consciences are the stability of states and the security of minds amidst the turbulent intellectual waves. 

- The second is that we should learn from those who came before us, for they - and all people - are like dates; we learn the good from them and leave the pits. Therefore, we do not deny the mistakes the Egyptians had, but in the journey of learning, we avoid those mistakes and accompany the good, learning from it.

In conclusion, I call upon the Egyptians to be zealous. Here is a non-Egyptian by nationality, but an Egyptian at heart, Prestidge, who has researched and learned about our great history. We all know that good morals and knowledge have no nationality and belong to all of humanity. Therefore, I call upon my people to research and work, not only to delve into the folds of our glorious history, but also to transcend borders and study all nations, learning from their goodness. Let us give our minds free rein to search and ponder, so that the awakening of conscience may come after a brief slumber, and we hope that it does not linger.

Notes for reviewers:

The original version of this article in classical Arabic was my submission for the 2022 Egyptian national reading and writing competition, it secured the third position nationally, and a prize but didn't include publishing the article on any platform (Except for a FB post for public choice awards) or owning its copyrights in any way.

The expressions and style might seem a little bit different due to it being a re-writing for the original Arabic expressions.

The author is the winner of the national reading challenge and Arab reading challenge for two years in a row, where she first represented her ideas regarding the book "The dawn of Conscience" by J.H.Breasted.

I would love to know your feedback and answer any inquiries.

Izzatu said...
on Aug. 19 at 2:47 pm
Izzatu, Abuja, Other
It was so detailed, amazing work.

on Aug. 19 at 9:34 am
Habiba_Tarek15, Alexandria, Other
A literal masterpiece ✨!