The Road | Teen Ink

The Road

August 13, 2009
By DW SILVER, Denver, Colorado
DW SILVER, Denver, Colorado
9 articles 0 photos 20 comments

The Road
Cormac McCarthy



It is the post apocalypse. After a great fire raged over the Earth, many were left dead and others with nothing. In this thrilling novel, Cormac McCarthy really captures the fear and isolation of being left alive after the Earth has died. He follows a father, “Papa”, and his son, as they travel along a deserted road, searching for anything and everything to keep them alive.

There is a true sense of fear as you feel you are walking beside them, seeing all they see, and feeling all they feel. It is a sadly sweetened tale of the love and connection between a father and his son and the drastic measures they must take to survive. McCarthy envisions the most terrifying of events, while never being too gory; the details are left to the imagination. He puts an almost mysterious, poetic spin on the story which just makes it an even more interesting read and gives it a philosophical feel. Through out the entire book the characters are evolving into more intense and bruiting creatures, faced with cannibalism, thievery, and quite a few face to face moments with death. Still, the duo somehow seems to keep their morals and heads in check, while wandering in always dangerous waters. There is never a page that won't have you sitting on the edge of your seat, your eyes leaping to each new word, hungering for more. Though there isn't much dialogue, you never have to guess about what Papa and his son are thinking, and more would make it a bit boring. There is just the right amount of everything in this book, fear, luck, wonder and more!

This is excellent for anyone interested in an intense, sometimes scary, and always exciting read with an incredible story and even more incredible characters. This is a surefire book that will have you hooked and entranced from cover to cover.


The author's comments:
This was a review I did for school, but I love both the book and the review so I'm going to put it here too!!! Hope you like it!