Night | Teen Ink

Night MAG

By Anonymous

     Night is an eye-opening look at the horrific times of the Holocaust and how the death of so many affected Elie Wiesel’s mind, body and soul.

Wiesel seems alone in the world except for his father and his own will to survive. Although there are times when he feels like he cannot continue, his father is there, urging him to stay strong.

The soldiers who oversee the Jews treat them like animals not worthy to be in their presence. They take it upon themselves to decide who is worthy of life and death. It is through these trials that Wiesel is forced to become a man.

Some believe that Night is too graphic, but I don’t agree. Wiesel paints a vivid picture of his abominable experiences because he wants the reader to realize what really happened. He states the facts of his difficult life that cannot be denied, beginning and ending with the death of his faith in God.

The pain and anger in these pages should not be forgotten. After reading this memoir, your eyes will be opened to how wonderful life and freedom are. Ultimately, Night teaches you not to take anything for granted and that material things are worthless. The one thing that matters is love, which can overcome anything.