The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick | Teen Ink

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

By Taylor Mann GOLD, Cave Creek, Arizona
Taylor Mann GOLD, Cave Creek, Arizona

I have read lots of books and enjoy the writing of many authors, but when it comes to deciding on one, I would have to choose Brian Selznick, the author of The Invention of Hugo Cabret. The book he wrote seems fairly long at 530 pages, but most of the pages in the book are actually sketches that go with the storyline, so it may seem like a short, easy read. But when you’re actually reading it you don’t even think about that. You think about all of the description and sketches that the author used to tell the story of Hugo. The immense details that he used were greatly in twined to the story, I felt like I was in the inventors life, the stress of the clock maker, the child that took on that great burden, the children who formed a bond, and the story with an ending that involved everyone, even the cranky old man.

The author was very good at incorporating snapshots into the story. An example is, the train station, vividly described in words and sketches. I will admit that his methods of writing are interesting and may seem odd at first, but you should read his writing because it’s worth giving it a try. And who knows it may surprise you.

You should definitely consider reading one of his books!