Children of the River | Teen Ink

Children of the River MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     If you are interested in a love story withsome drama, then Children of the River is for you. This book isabout a Cambodian girl named Sundara who has to leave her parents,sister, brother and her childhood boyfriend, Chamroeun, because theKhmer Rouge has taken over the country. With her aunt and uncle, shemoves to America after enduring a horrible boat trip.

Though thedrama of coming to America is over, it becomes clear that adapting to anew culture is just as difficult. Sundara meets a really cool guy whohas a sincere interest in her, but her culture will not allow her todate; marriages are arranged according to Khmer culture. She tries tofollow this ideal, but Jonathan won't take no for ananswer.

As you read, you will ask yourself: What does Sundarafeel so guilty about? Will she ever get to see Chamroeun and her family?And another big question: what happens between Jonathan and Sundara?

I could not put Children of the River down. Sometimes thesuspense frustrated me, but otherwise, I enjoyed this novel andrecommend it to everyone.