Girl With a Pearl Earring | Teen Ink

Girl With a Pearl Earring MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. For centuries art enthusiastshave marveled over one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings, but it is TracyChevalier's Girl with a Pearl Earring that offers a story to go with the face ofthe young girl immortalized on canvas.

Through the eyes of 16-year-oldGriet, the daughter of a local tile painter, seventeenth-century Delft, Hollandcomes to life. After an accident leaves her father blind and unable to work,Griet becomes a maid in the home of Vermeer. For a simple Protestant girl, beingthrown into a Catholic home full of riches and elegance is intimidating. Each dayshe must work for her condescending mistress, Catharina, or the rather uncivilmaid Tenneke, but despite these hardships she must earn her wages. It is onlywhen she cleans her master's studio that she finds any enjoyment, for that iswhere his paintings are created. It is there also that the drama of her lifeunfolds.

Not only is this book about Griet's coming-of-age, but also hernew appreciation of art. Chevalier integrates descriptions of many of Vermeer'sworks, adding a depth and mood to the story that captures the reader from thevery first page. The passion and mystery of this story lure the reader intoVermeer's beautifully remastered world, and ultimately alters conceptions ofself-discovery and art. This book truly is a magnificent jewel.

i love this !