Must Love Dogs by Claire Cook | Teen Ink

Must Love Dogs by Claire Cook MAG

By StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky

The person, be it gentleman or lady, whom does not take pleasure in a good book must be incredibly stupid. --- Jane Austen

For the longest time I had no idea that this movie originated as a book, but having fallen head-over-heels in love with the film, I decided to try it out when I stumbled on a copy at my favorite bookstore. Putting aside for a moment my opinions of film versions of bestselling books (because I could talk about that all day), I'm prepared to write warmly about both of them.

Claire Cook typed out a masterpiece when she dotted the final “i” in Must Love Dogs. I absolutely adore this book, cover to cover, word for word, character for character. I really feel like I could get along with the character of Sarah Hurlihy, as well as her sisters, which is important when I'm reading a book. Her situation is modern, relatable, and written in such a way as to make the audience feel for her. The supporting characters are charming, especially Sarah's dad, and of course, the lovable and outrageous Dolly.

The story line is very different from the film, and considering that I saw the movie first, I was unprepared for what I read, but I was pleased with the whole story.

Must Love Dogs is definitely one of my favorite books.

I'm a cat person, and yet I still loved it!