Christine | Teen Ink

Christine MAG

By Anonymous

   Christineis no lady. Christine is Stephen King's ultimate evil vehicle of horror.But Arnie Cunnigham doesn't care. With that, King leads the reader intoa world of good intentions and evil actions in the frightening novel,Christine.

Arnie Cunningham is an average 17-year-old; hisbest friend is Dennis. On the way home from work, one man, Roland Lebay,and one beat-up car, Christine (a 1958 Plymouth Fury), change Arnie'slife irrevocably. Lebay sells him the car, which Arnie brings to WillDarrnell's garage.

From here, things go downhill. Arnie's parentsdistrust him after his impulsive purchase and Dennis never sees himanymore becaues he is always working on Christine and acting more likeLebay. Arnie starts using Lebay's sayings, complaining about the sameback problems and developing a similar personality. Arnie's life doesget better in one respect: he starts going out with Leigh Cabot, one ofthe most beautiful girls in school.

Christine follows Arnie likea bad shadow. Whoever harms Arnie and his car are dealt with swiftly andlethally. Each death may be connected to Arnie, but he always has arock-solid alibi. Christine's influence, however, corrupts Arnie'smorals and he starts doing illegal activities.

King does a greatjob grabbing your attention. His technique of telling the story throughDennis makes the narrator not omnipresent. Dennis does not knoweverything, so each new conclusion Dennis reaches gives away a littlemore of the mystery and keeps you reading. King leads you through anintriguing story with an almost immortal opponent that shows up when youleast expect it. No one is safe from the horror. It's a page-turner youcan't put down until you're finished.