Once Upon A Marigold | Teen Ink

Once Upon A Marigold

Once Upon A Marigold

Scholastics Inc.
Jean Ferris

1960, $4.99

ISBN 0-446-31078-6

Have you ever loved something so much that you would do anything for it? Whether it's a beloved friend or a gadget smaller than a peanut, it doesn't matter. Princess Marigold, the youngest of four siblings has to fight hard for what she believes in and the person that she loves. With an evil mother and a father who is too sick to do anything, it makes life harder than it has to be. Marigold's evil mother will do anything to marry off her daughters to other kingdoms so she can keep the title “Queen” in her own kingdom for the rest of her life.

When Marigold falls in love with one of the peasants in the kingdom, Christian, the Queen devises a plan to have Christian arrested and tries forcing her daughter into an arranged marriage. The Queen's plan is derailed when Christian breaks out of jail with the help of his trusty friend and his two dogs. He makes a plan to save Marigold from the destiny her mother has set for her so that Marigold and Christian can live happily ever after where they belong.

Marigold and Christian are an inspiration for all. They prove that if you fight hard enough for something that you believe in there is no doubt that you can get it. People who like romance in a novel will cherish this book Once Upon A Marigold the way I did.

I recommend this book to people out there that need a good book to lift their spirits. In the beginning, I must warn you, it can be dragged out and slow, but once you read on you will become so very enchanted by Jean Ferris's words you won't be able to put it down, just as I couldn't. Read Once Upon A Marigold and I can assure you that you won't regret it.

ThunderBird said...
I loved this book too! I think the sequel, Twice Upon a Marigold is just as good!