Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

By The_Fourth_Black_Sister GOLD, Verona, New York
The_Fourth_Black_Sister GOLD, Verona, New York

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
-Robert Frost

Speak by: Laurie Halse Anderson is one of the few books that I can say I’ve actually read twice and will read a couple more times. Speak tells the story of fourteen year old Melinda Sordino who is entering high school as an outcast. After calling the cops on a party where there was underage drinking Melinda has been ditched by her friends, and her hopes of making new ones has gone from little to none. After a terrible first day of school Melinda learns that this year is going to be tough, but some things like art will help her to relieve some of her stress. Throughout the book Melinda becomes friends with Heather, a girl who is new to Merryweather High.

Speak takes you throughout Melinda’s freshman and eventually leads you to why she called the cops on that summer party. I feel especially connected to this story because the author grew up in a town close to my own, and Merryweather is similar to that town. I also loved this book because I felt that if I dropped into this book it would be very similar to my own high school. Not many authors can succeed at doing that. Speak is the most powerful book I’ve ever read, and would recommend to anyone who likes a good read.