The Lion’s Game | Teen Ink

The Lion’s Game

November 7, 2007
By Anonymous

The Lion’s Game

“Keeping my back to the wall, I came around the long, counter-type desk and saw Nancy Tate on the floor, a bullet hole in her forehead and a puddle of blood on the plastic mat, wet and gleaming around her face and hair. This did not surprise me, but it made me angry. I prayed that Asad Khalil was still here.” The Lion’s Game, by Nelson DeMille, focuses around an American agent who has the job of tracking down a homicidal terrorist. It begins when Asad Khalil, an Islamic radical, tricks the American government and kills an entire planeload of people. From there, the action never lets up as Khalil travels around the country assassinating seemingly random individuals.

The central character of the story is one of the main agents on the case: John Corey of the Anti-Terrorist Task Force. He is trained in combat, has been shot three times while working for the NYPD, and is determined to bring Khalil to justice. What makes Corey so remarkable, however, is his sense of humor. Despite being a government agent, he is a bizarre and often obnoxious man who completely disregards what is generally considered to be appropriate behavior and protocol. He tells jokes during meetings, makes passing comments about nearly everything he comes into contact with, and gets on most people’s nerves. His quarry is completely different. Asad Khalil takes his job very seriously. Deeply religious, he does not care about what happens to him so long as his mission is fulfilled.

Interestingly, you get both sides of the story while reading. Most of the book switches back and forth between Corey’s and Khalil’s respective viewpoints. Khalil’s story is tense, violent, and often frightening. Corey’s includes these elements, but is also at times downright hilarious. Any action buff should check this book out without delay.

Readers of all genres, fear not the 900+ pages and put this on your list.

This will certify that the above work is completely original.