Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Lightning Theif by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Lightning Theif by Rick Riordan

April 3, 2010
By NightStalker PLATINUM, San Diego, California
NightStalker PLATINUM, San Diego, California
21 articles 1 photo 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
-Adam Savage


I never really enjoyed Greek Mythology, but, when I read this book, I looked up every single monster, god, goddess, and item that was in the book. In this book, an (as far as he knows) ordinary kid who has gotten kicked out of more boarding schools than he can remember, has had strange things happening to him. Like gods, a Minotaur, centaurs, and other mythical things coming into his life. And on top of it all, he is the son of Poseidon who is in a tiff with his brother and king of the gods, Zeus. And if that wasn’t bad enough, he is accused of steeling the Master Bolt from Zeus himself and the Shroud of Darkness from his uncle, Hades. Enter Grover, a satyr with a lot to prove after failing once to keep a Half- Blood from being killed by Hades’ demons. He has been trying to find any suspicious kids that might be a Half- Blood.
Here’s how it all works out, Percy is over at a usual Latin field trip with Mr. Brunner, his Latin teacher (who is his favorite teacher), and Mrs. Dodds, the meanest Pre-Algebra teacher in the world. After a suspicious summons by her, he finds out she is a Furry and hits her with a celestial blade, which sends her back to Hades. After that, everyone is convinced another lady has always been their Pre-Algebra teacher and they have never heard of a Mrs. Dodds at all. Later, when his mom and him are at their cabin near the ocean when Grover in his true form tries to bring them to Camp Half- Blood when a Minotaur attacks and sends his mom to Hades as a hostage. When he receives his mission to go to Hades to get the M.B. from Hades, he hurriedly accepts it with Grover and Annabeth, daughter of Athena who is just itching for an adventure. On their adventures, they encounter monsters, a prank for Ares, and dreams from the evilest Titan and father of Zeus, Kronos. After finding the M.B., they find that Hades is missing his Shroud of Darkness and head out in search of it without rescuing Percy’s mom. When they reach the surface, they realize that Ares is indirectly involved with the two thefts and Percy defeats him in a sword duel, sending him back to Olympus. They return the items of power to their respective owners and return to camp and discover the traitor at camp Half-Blood. Now, I really love this book and can’t wait to watch the movie. Read the book for your self and you'll see what I mean.