Graceling by Kristen Cashore | Teen Ink

Graceling by Kristen Cashore MAG

By DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

Sometimes when an author squeezes a ton of different genres into one book, it turns into a complete mush, like when you combine a lot of pretty colors and end up with an icky brown. But then, sometimes it's like combining gorgeous colors to get a rainbow. That describes Graceling. I won't spill too much, because I want you to read the book and fully appreciate all the twists and turns, but I can tell you this: there's a bit of mystery, a bit of humor, a bit (okay, maybe more than a bit) of romance, some internal conflict, and a ton of action and fantasy. Plus an excellent story line.

Kristin Cashore puts it together beautifully. She makes the fantasy world real, the fictional protagonist your friend, and the evil antagonist your mortal enemy.

Every story has to strike a balance between awesome descriptions and too much detail. Explanations can leave you thinking I get it! Yeesh! or Whaaaaaaat? This book
strikes the balance perfectly. Amazing.

CrystalAngelDol SILVER, Queens, New York

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.
- Lou Holtz

i hope this book is adapted into a movie, it will be way more brilliant then any of the twilight books, and btw im a twilight fan also so please dont accuse me of comparing this to twilight

- Lou Holtz

me too! i hope she writes more, both of them were beyond amazing

- Lou Holtz

i know everyone did, i loved it and hated the ending at the same time, both of the books are absolutley brilliant

Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Read it, haven't started the second one though I have it. I kind of hated how the guy went blind at the end of the first one ):

beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Loved this book! The series is awesome~

Kat4life BRONZE, Birmingham, Michigan
I LOVE THIS BOOK!! When i read about Katsa and Po i cried a little....But Fire is da bomb!!!! I liked it better by a little intsey bit, but that means i loved this one a lot!!!!! hope for more

Yeah... I agree.  I think it's supposed to be a trilogy.  Teh next book should be coming out in the fall.

Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I loved this book! I wish it was in a series - I mean besides Fire, which I also read. Graceling was the better of the two, in my opinion.

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

I LOVE THIS BOOK WITH MY WHOLE ENTIRE SOUL. MY SOUUUUL. Lol sorry there, I just love this book soo much :P I just finished reading it, and I already miss Katsa and Po! Gotta say, their romance is one of the cutest I've read...mostly because it's not mushy or overkill; there's just enough to keep you wanting more! Overall, LOVED the book, and great review!! :)

P.S. I'm still true to HP...in truth, I just find these books so different that I can't really compare them :)

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

Yeah, it is...it's in a neighbouring land. Fire is actually set 35 years before Graceling or something.

YEAAAAHHHHH! ha.

daisney said...
im a harry potter fan but graceling knocked harry out the ball park 

-LeftBehindBroken- GOLD, Providence, South Carolina

Artists paint on canvas; Musicians paint on silence

you make me want to read it! and im always looking for another good book. my favorite is 13 reasons why and harry potter soo ill have to check it out!

thanks ;) i'm actually thinking of doing a fan fiction combining both fire and graceling... but that still has a LONG way to go.

Gekkonidae BRONZE, State College, Pennsylvania

"If everyone were normal, no one would be weird! ... wait..."

I loved this book too! Great review!

yeah, i did, and im thinking about doing aeview on that book too.

paige.xo said...
paige.xo, Auckland, Other

“First things first, I’m surrealist.” — Salvador Dali

I read the book 'Fire' I think it is set in the same world...

ClareBear07 GOLD, Glendale, Wisconsin

Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up. ~Robert Frost

I agree completely with you, this book was the best fantasy book I have read! If you like this book then you sould read the spin-off, Fire It's very good.

Mickee BRONZE said...
Mickee BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York

Erica Albright (Rooney Mara): "You are going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know from the bottom of my heart that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole."

Mark Zuckerberg: "I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try, but there's no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing. Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

"You're not the same as you were before, You were much more...muchier...you've lost your muchness."
I feel like I just found out my favorite love song was written about a sandwich.

sounds good, il read it :)

This book is so awesome and this review explains the book in a great way. Its totally woth the time to read. :)