Going Bovine by Libba Bray | Teen Ink

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

By LittleMissStrange SILVER, Reno, Nevada
LittleMissStrange SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"Oh, I have a heart to be shot or stabbed in, no doubt, and if it cease to beat I should cease to be, but you know what I mean. I have no softness there, no sympathy, sentiment." -Great Expectations

Going Bovine breaks the barrier of typical teen books. If you've read Libba Bray's other series A Great And Terrible Beauty, don't be alarmed to find out that this book has a male narrator, and is set in modern times.

16 year old Cameron Smith skates through life with minimum effort, finding joys in pot and bad music. He works shifts at local fast food joint Buddha Burger, and lives in the shadow of his perfect win sister, Jenna. His life sucks, and he's fine with it.

And then he gets diagnosed with Mad Cow Disease, and it's terminal. He finds hope in a punk angel named Dulcie, who tells Cameron there's a Doctor X who has a cure, he just has to go find him.

Cam sets off on a twister road trip filled with smoothie cults, ancient gnomes, germaphobic dwarfs, Mardi Gras legends, all across America.

Going Bovine is filled with swears, sex, drugs, and alcohol, without going past PG-13. If you want a thought provoking, laughter providing, insane book, Going Bovine is your ticket to everlasting happiness.