The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

CammyS SILVER said...
CammyS SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.
H. G. Wells
Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.
Mark Twain

Well, everyone is intitled to their own opinion, but I thought the Giver was one of the best books I ever read. I loved how I had to read it over and over (since I do that anyway) and each time I read I discovered something I hadn't seen before. And I personally loved the unanswered questions. They made me think after the book, which is a lot more fun than just saying "well, the book's done. they told us absolutely everything there is to know, so let's go read another one!" p.s we sort of find out what happens to Jonas in The Messenger

ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

I must compliment you on your review and the way in which you express your strong opinion, even though my views may be different. Regardless, you did a great job and it was interesting for me to see the other side of the coin. :)

in my opinion this book is really good it is imaginative, they explain everything with good deatail the only bad part is the ending... not a good ending

BANNANAMAN said...
i thought this book was AWSEOME, and you should be less critizising!! BANNANA MAN

. said...
This is the book that made me want to read all the time! I love this book with a passion. Also Your writing is bland and predictable, spice it up next time. Maybe you could take some ques from a book I love called The Giver :/

ECubed said...
The Giver was an amazing book. Loved it.

lexosaurus BRONZE, Brentwood, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

" ur cool"

Well everyone has there opinion but to me i thought this book was very good and intruiging because i had to read it for my english class and naturally i thought this book would be boring but it turned out to be very interesting and i liked it a lot. The setting was very cool to me although the society they live in i thought was unfair and controlled but for the most part it was really great if you got the setting and society but if you didnt then it was probably not as enjoyable for you

Sunshine said...
Hi! I haven't read this book but I am a bit curious about it! This book was given as a reveiw on my school's website. Should I read it? Everyone keeps giving it different reviews. Thanks and please reply!

mulan98 BRONZE said...
mulan98 BRONZE, East Jakarta, Other

"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

This judgement awfully sounds like a matter of one's own inablity to brainstorm possiblities of what happened in the end. Although I do understand that the ending might have left us all feeling confused, it's fair to point out while you said that it became very "dull and disappointing" towards the end, I find you asking questions about it as well. Lowry might have chosen to end the book this way as means to keep it alive, but this is merely an opinion and I hope you don't take it the wrong way. (:

I.R.B BRONZE said...
I.R.B BRONZE, Mendocino, California

"When you see beyond yourself, then you may find peace of mind is waiting there."
(The song, Within You Without You, by The Beatles)

I think this is a very wellwritten piece. But I must dissagree. At first I did not care for the book much mself. But as I read on, I saw so much meaning in the pages. The theme of this place being a "utopia" made the whole book a paradox. I think the author described the use of drugs, sexual desire, and governmental control to write a fabulous story, that holds so much meaning. 

Ririchiyo45 BRONZE, Downey, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"The virtue of angels is that they cannot deteriorate; their flaw is that they cannot improve. Man's flaw is that he can deteriorate; his virtue is that he can improve." -Hasdic Saying

Good review, but I must disagree. I believed The Giver to be a wonderful book that showed the complexity of humanity and of a utopian society. The ending was a bit of a bummer, I might add.

AKequestrian said...
AKequestrian, Homer, Alaska

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
- George Bernard Shaw

I do not agree with Bapalapa2 at all!!! The Giver by Lois Lowry is a very well written book. IT was unique and fresh, and there has been many books made AFTER following the same theme. "It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could concieve." THis is a quote directly from Bapalapa2's book review. That is purely untrue, it is strictly an opinion and its ridiculous. Mediocre, could've been written by anyone books do not recieve many medals and lots of readers that enjoy it. I disagree with everything in this book review and would say to all people considering to give it a chance!! I LOVED IT!! :)

happyAKgirl said...
happyAKgirl, Homer, Alaska

Life is a story...but be careful your writing in pen.

I do not agree at all. I read The Giver earlier and loved it. The ending was mysterious and the author gave you the chance to decide for yourself what happend. It was confusing in a good sort of way. But good job on you review Bapalapa2 even though i disagree.

ShannonLaDieu SILVER, Waycross, Georgia

The best part of beauty is that no picture can express- Loren blake Chosen House of Night serise
mee-uf-ow!- Nala(Zoey's Cat) House of night Books
since when has public making-out become a turn-on for you?- Zoey Redbird

I totally agree.  I mean the ending is like what happened di he make it or did they die? We will never know. The book became very dull and dissapointing the further you get into the novel. I had to read it twice and wouldnt recommend it to anyone ever.

jenledgerfan said...
I read this book and I thought it was one of the best bo! oks ever. when you can write as good as Lois Lowry then feel free to bash a great work of literature.

pandagirl312 GOLD, Leawood, Kansas
I recently read The Giver, and I loved it. I spent days after reading it thinking about it. However, you are entitled to your opinion, too. It's a nicely done review, even if I don't agree. :)

Pea6898 said...
Pea6898, Toledo, Ohio

Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them but you know there always there

The giver was confusing book but only at the ending otherwise it was a wonderful story and i look forward to read the next one. Louis lowery is an awesome but confuseing auther a good one by louis is number the stars. I hope more readers like the giver.

malaikah SILVER, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Gathering Blue, The Messenger

Shahiro PLATINUM, Johnston, Iowa

"Soon we must all choose between what is right and what is easy." - Dumbledore (Goblet of Fire)

I really enjoyed The Giver, though i didn't like the ending because i wanted to know what would happen next, of course i hardly ever like the endings to books... it must be that humanistic characteristic of always wanting more...

ps. please check out my work....

on Jun. 25 2012 at 8:59 am
BreathingUpsideDown BRONZE, Cordova, Tennessee

"You know how people say to think outside the box? Well, with me there is no box: there's a rectangular pyramid, and I'm, like, way over here." -Me

I absolutely loved The Giver. Coming at it expecting an action-packed teen romance built to satisfy the attention deprived youth of today you will be dissappointed. But if you're looking for something with real insight and emotion and if you really want to have to read into the characters this is a wonderful book. You say it didn't make sense, I argue that you just didn't understand it. Though the ending did leave the reader wanting, overall I think it was a beautifly written peice and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.