My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

November 28, 2010
By FootprintsInTheSnow GOLD, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
FootprintsInTheSnow GOLD, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No." -Rosa Parks


Many times, I have seen people look at this "type" of book and wave it away with a glance. I, myself have passed over reading such a novel--to much baggage. To say it simply, "My Sister's Keeper" is the unusual story of a teenager's fight with leukemia. But wait! Before you shake your head and move away from this article listen closely. I hate to make fun of such serious stories--I myself have a personal side when it comes to cancer. Yet it is not as cliche as you can imagine. The story (although alternating view points) is told about the girl's younger sister, Anna. Anna was literally conceived by her parents for a purpose--to save her sister Kate by giving her blood, organs and whatever else Kate needed. Told from the view points of Anna, her mother Sara, her father Brian, her lawyer Campbell, her guardian ad litem (it will make more sense if you read the book) Julia, and her brother Jessie.
Sure, this book brings on the sorrow. But at the same time it is a compelling novel. The different points of view offer a nice look at varied peoples lives. It also deals with the issues families with cancer patients have to deal with everyday.
Don't worry though, not everything has to do with the cancer. Romance between two unlikely parties occur and a family is torn to pieces when Anna decides to sue.
Some of the questions in this book are never really answered, some are. For all the teens reading this, don't worry. Anna and Jessie are both teens whose points of views are used and they are as every bit as realistic as our own creations. And the most unquestionable thing in a family--a parent's love for their children--is put into doubt.
There is something in this book for everyone, if you ask me. No, this is not a Twilight novel, nor is it the next "Harry Potter". I am a fan of both and I enjoyed this very much. Here is a book, ladies and gentlemen that makes you think.


The author's comments:
Since I picked it up as a last minute resort for a homework project, I don't really feel as if I can say something exceptional about it. People should know that not all books need to have non-stop action in it to be enjoyable--take my typed word for it.