Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick | Teen Ink

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

January 30, 2008
By Anonymous

“Midget: A word used by people with small minds.” Freak does not have a small mind. A small body- yes, but certainly not a small mind. In fact, he has compiled his own dictionary with his own definitions for things around him.

So who would have thought that this wonderfully brilliant boy would ever make friends with Maxwell Kane, who is growing so fast he can hardly control himself, and yet is completely at a loss when it comes to brains? This is Freak the Mighty. This is a good book.

“I never had a brain until Freak came along…” says Maxwell as he is remembering his good old days with his best friend, Kevin, called Freak. Looking at the two, you would think a pile of dirt could take them on pretty easily. But together, they are unstoppable. Together, they are Freak the Mighty.

The story does not have a definite plot. It is difficult to differentiate between the beginning, middle, and end. And yet it is written with such love and care that you don't notice. As strange as they are, Freak and Max do make you long for such a friendship. Readers will twist in their seats out of anxiousness as Max starts to realize why Freak is in the hospital. Yes, Freak does die. In body, at least. A friend like Max would never really let Freak die. His writing skills are very low, but he does his best to write down memories of his best friend, Freak.

In the middle of all this, Max's father escapes from jail and takes him hostage for a few days. Max escapes with the help of two very unlikely people, and in the end, Freak is there to turn it into a perfect situation of Freak the Mighty, victorious again.
Best writing? No. Best plot? Not really. Best friends? You bet.