Uglies by Scott Westerfield | Teen Ink

Uglies by Scott Westerfield

February 28, 2008
By Anonymous

Every generation has rebels. Even years into the future there are going to be those few people who won't stick to the status quo. Are you a rebellious one? In the book Uglies, Tally can't wait to go through surgery on her 16th birthday to become pretty. This futuristic book will keep you fully attached to the end.
At the age of 16 you go through a surgery to become pretty. Tally's friend Shay, who shares the same birthday as Tally, doesn't want to be pretty. The Smoke was a place for uglies to go to avoid the surgery, but who wouldn't want to be pretty? The night before their birthday Shay comes and tells Tally she is running to the Smoke and asks Tally to come with her. Tally refuses and goes for the surgery the next day and is told by the Specials that she could not be pretty, until she betrayed Shay by traveling to the Smoke. Her trip to the Smoke could change her perspective on life forever.
The 400 pages of this book is not only stunning and addicting but all around enjoyable. Her adventures lead to truth and destiny but also is a test of friendship. You'll be anxious to get your hands on the second book of the series, Pretties.