The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa | Teen Ink

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

This book was simply beautiful. I had not read any of the Iron Fey series until I heard about this one and then I went through the whole, wonderful series in less than a month. After the ending of The Iron Queen left me sighing I was so glad that I had this one on my computer, just waiting for me. I read it in a single afternoon, reveling in every page of heartbreaking tragedy and irrepressible joy. This is a perfect ending to a perfect series.

This book is all about Ashallayn' darkmyr Tallyn, the darkly handsome, dangerous prince of the Winter Fey. Did you ever want to know more about his life before he fell in love? Or how he truly felt about Ariella and how he feels now about Meghan? I was always on Team Ash, despite Puck's devious attempts to steal my heart, and this book made me love him even more. He has done terrible things in the past, things that were hinted about before but were never fully revealed, but he overcame his ruthless nature and upbringing because of the love of two young women. In this book, he is tempted and tested in every possible way until everything he thought he was is stripped away. It was nearly painful to watch at times, but oh how wonderful were the results...

The Iron Knight focuses a lot on the characters and their interactions. Puck and Ash, longtime friends and arch-enemies, have such a wonderful and complex relationship. They go from trying to kill each other to saving one another. Puck would get on anyone's last nerve and I completely understand the impulse to slice that grin off his face, so it was a lot of fun to watch the tension and, surprisingly, the trust between them. Despite everything, they know that they can count on each other completely.

Meghan is only barely featured in this book, and at times it seems hopeless that Ash will ever see her again. This, combined with the surprise introduction of a new player, leads to a whole new level of emotional pain for Ash. Even with Meghan off-page, the romance in The Iron Knight is wonderful.

I love the world of the Iron Fey series. The Fey are deadly and beautiful, just the way I always imagine them. No sparkly Tinkerbells here. Nothing is done for nothing and make promises at your peril. I can practically see the creatures of the wyldwood peeking through the leaves, watching for you to make a mistake.

As an ending to my review, I would like to add a chuckle for the fun little interview attached to the end of the book and a virtual smack on the head for Puck because he got that song stuck in my head.

I would recommend this novel to lovers of fantasy, epic romance, sacrifice and wonderful characters. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Rose<3 said...
Oh, so it's going to be like, an add-on series to the Iron Fey?  Sweet:)

. said...
I have heard rumors of a spin-off series (rumors that I really hope are true), but this is the last of the Iron Fey. I love the idea of a Puck novel, though. :)

Rose<3 said...
It's the last one in the series?!  I thought there was going to be another one, but in Puck's point of view!! Saddd:(  And hey, I'm happy that it comes out in Oct and not Nov....I get to read it sooner!:D

XONORA5 said...
I thought this was coming out in Nov, but I'll take Oct!!  Birthday is then, so what a  lovely gift I'll get: the final book!

LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

Loved I not honour more.

Thank you! Yes, this is the fourth and final book in the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. This one doesn't actually come out until October, so you have some time to catch up on the others. The whole series is wonderful. :)

Harebelle GOLD said...
Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
This was a very thorough review- great job! I definitely want to read this book now. Is it part of a series?