Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes | Teen Ink

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

October 5, 2011
By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
132 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel


This book was great! It is full of twists and turns and surprises that keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat. I was never quite sure what was going to happen next and the plethora of new magical creatures was wonderful. I don't think I have ever read a novel with chupacabras before.

Kali is a fascinating heroine. The title, Every Other Day, refers to her strange transformation from human to hunter of supernatural creatures. One day she is human, but the next she is not. She doesn't know what she is or how she came to be that way, but in her efforts to protect a girl she doesn't even like she may find answers about herself.

There is a little bit of romance in this book, but it is peculiar to say the least. Zev, the love interest, is just a voice in her head for most of the novel I can't wait to see how their relationship develops in book 2, and there has to be a book 2.

My favorite character of the story was Skylar. She is unfailingly cheerful and a bit odd, with an endless supply of brothers with useful life skills. (A lawyer who can steal cars, an FBI agent, a veterinarian, etc.) Her little sister's survival guide made me smile, especially when applied to zombies.

This book was fast-paced and interesting with a bittersweet ending that left me begging for more. I would recommend this book to lovers of strange creatures and wild fights.