She Said Yes by Misty Bernall | Teen Ink

She Said Yes by Misty Bernall

By swimster16 SILVER, Dexter, Michigan
swimster16 SILVER, Dexter, Michigan

I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music.
~Billy Joel

This powerful book is about the unlikely martyrdom of a daughter, friend, disciple, and unfortunate victim, named Cassie Bernall. She Said Yes, by Misty Bernall, explains through details of a worried parent about how kids problems can be solved through a different environment, even if you question. Cassie’s death was not pursued but an unlucky chance that out of everyone who was in the library cramming in their studies, two men on a killing rampage, picked her. They asked a serious question. Did she believe in God? No, you live, yes, you die. She answered yes, with all the strength that was in her mind and soul of repeating that same question at home. Through the story Misty explain her life before the tragedy up until the morning of. After the shooting at Columbine, Misty and her families struggles after the incident are printed as if we are right next to them.

She Said Yes, gives parents an array of hope. Misty shows the light on her family and opens her secret trials against her daughter and what made her love Cassie unconditionally until the end. As for young adults, it sets a different tone. As a young adult myself, and speaking for mostly the young adults around my age, it gives the reader an idea of how much our parents love us, no matter what happens, and that all families have everyday struggles just like us, but not always at a certain degree. Cassie’s story has pushed us to the edge. We all we’re surrounded by the thought of the tragedy. I certainly enjoyed this heart-wrenching novel. I learned a lot about a family went through a life changing experience that could happen to any of us at any moment in time, but I don’t think anyone would be a ready as Cassie. It made me think about how lucky I am to have a loving family and that almost every night we have a family dinner and end up laughing at our day and how memories will always last. My relationship with my brother is almost the same as Cassie’s and Chris’s. We love each other to a certain point, but we’ve had our fair share of fights. She Said Yes has touched many hearts in the time its been out. I can happily add myself to Misty Bernalls’ extending list. Misty’s writing as if we were all with her in the time of the event, reading the newspaper of every passing day from that time, but occasionally glancing back to the date at hand. Parents will read the beautifully scripted novel and understand the stages of adolescents in its toughest times. I would definitely recommend this book to parents and young adults.

it was awesome