Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer | Teen Ink

Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer

By AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York

Seeking thrill, suspense, adventure, and humor? Looking for a good book to read and feel like there isn’t one left in the world? Well, here is a book you are sure to enjoy! The latest installment in the always exciting Artemis Fowl series won’t disappoint. In case you don’t know, Artemis is a tech savy 15 year old rich heir to his father’s illustrious company. He is also business savy himself and makes a lot money in his own business deals, some of which aren’t completely honest, not unlike his father’s. He is scientific and makes new inventions all the time, to help him in his schemes. He has kidnapped a fairy for ransom and saved the fairy people from destruction and saved his father when everybody believed him dead, so he is not all bad. It includes the classic Artemis Fowl wit and cunning, while also revealing a different side of Artemis, a side that makes him appear a bit more human and relatable.
Guilt has been gnawing away at him for the past few years because of his not so honest schemes. He is now working on a project called the Ice Cube. This Ice Cube is supposed to save the world from global warming and it is all ready to be launched. All he needs now is a little help from his fairy friends to get it started. They come up and meet him and noticed something is wrong, Artemis is counting his words, being paranoid, and in general a bit obsessive compulsive. He thinks four signifies death since it sounds like the Chinese word for death and that five is lucky and everything relating to him should revolve around five. His fairy friends diagnose this as Atlantis Complex. This is a mental illness usually found in guilt ridden fairies, but Artemis’s dabbling in fairy magic might have triggered this illness. This illness causes paranoia, OCD, multiple personality disorder, and more. Most of these symptoms are already present.
During his presentation, a fairy space probe crashes and the robots try to kill them. This fairy probe is no longer under fairy police control, but someone unknown has hacked and taken control. One fairy commander is killed, but Artemis, Holly, a fairy friend and comrade, and Foaly, a super tech savy technician and gadget creator for the fairy police, escape safely. The force of the explosion, and Holly electrocuting him so he moves out of the way, trigger a symptom of Atlantis Complex that hadn’t made itself known in Artemis yet, multiple personality disorder. When he wakes up he is a chivalrous young prince who claims he is in love with Holly. He thinks he some sort of prince named Orion from an old fairy tale set in the Middle Ages and Holly is his princess and Foaly is a “goodly beast”(since he is a centaur) that helps him win Holly’s heart.
Soon after this disaster they find out about another, the probe is headed to the underwater city Atlantis to destroy it and they have to save the city and its citizens. Will they be able to do it without Artemis’s cunning intelligence to help them when they really need it? Will they succeed in saving Atlantis, and survive it? Will Artemis ever come back to normal (well as normal as possible with him) and overcome his Atlantis Complex? Find out in the latest book in Eoin Colfer’s Artemis Fowl series; Artemis Fowl Book Seven: The Atlantis Complex!

No problem!

CrystalAngelDol SILVER, Queens, New York

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.
- Lou Holtz

I LOVE ARTEMIS FOWL!!! I THINK HE IS A PURE GENIUs! THANKS FOR THE REVIEW WILL DEFINITLY READ THIS BOOK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!