The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

By AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York

Not knowing who you are seems to be a common theme in many books and “The Lost Hero” is no exception! Rick Riordan's newest Greek mythology adventure epic definitely meets and even surpasses expectations. The main character, Jason, wakes up on school bus on a field trip to the Grand Canyon with a girl claiming to be his girlfriend and a guy claiming to be his best friend. Piper and Leo. And as if it wasn't weird enough not knowing your girlfriend and best friend, once they reached the Grand Canyon, girl named Annabeth shows up in a chariot told by flying horses, pegasi. And, oh yeah, Jason finds out he can fly while jumping over a rail to save Piper from certain death that awaits her at the bottom of the canyon. They are attacked by storm spirits and win. Annabeth forces them into the chariot with talk of half-bloods, camp, and most importantly, protection.

They find out Annabeth is looking for her boyfriend, a name you might recognize, Percy Jackson. He has been missing for 3 days now and Annabeth expected to find him at the canyon. Jason finds out he is the son of Zeus, which explains the flying, though not even many kids of Zeus have this power. Piper is the daughter of Aphrodite. Leo is a son of Hephaestus.
They all have special powers that are rare even in demigods. Piper can talk anybody into doing anything and Leo can make fire using just his hands.

A lot to take in for Jason, a guy who can’t even remember his past. Before he can even get used to the idea of being a half-blood, he is chosen for a quest. Will it lead him to his past? He asks Piper and Leo to accompany him. Just like in Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series, they encounter many ancient Greek monsters in modern day settings along the way.

Luck doesn’t seem to be with Jason and his friends, as they encounter many dangerous and near death experiences in warehouses, malls, gold houses, and many more strange monster’s lairs. At the same time it seems as though they are the recipients of some godly help, now if only they could figure out from which god! On top of all this it seems there is a bigger uprising taking place. Bigger than the Titans you ask? Yes, much bigger than the Titans. Along with trying to stop the uprising and find Percy, the kids have their own personal motives for agreeing to this quest. Piper’s dad, the movie star Tristan McLean, has been kidnapped by Enceladus, a giant. She is the only one who can save him, though the methods are risky. Leo keeps seeing a lady in a black cloak following them around. He remembers this lady from a tragic time in his childhood and is trying to figure out who she is. Jason just wants this quest to reveal who he really is.

You can find everything in this book, action, suspense, thrill, mystery, topped off with just a touch of romance. There is a little something for everyone to enjoy. Loaded with twists and turns, friends and betrayal, this newest Greek mythology thriller of Rick Riordan’s will not disappoint. Will Piper be able to save her dad? Will Leo figure out who is following them? Most importantly, will Jason’s past be unveiled? Find out when you read “The Lost Hero”!