Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann | Teen Ink

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

February 12, 2013
By Maggie99 SILVER, Versailles, Kentucky
Maggie99 SILVER, Versailles, Kentucky
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost


Title: Cryer's Cross

Author: Lisa McMann

Pub. Date: February 8th 2011

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Genre: Horror, Romance

Pages: 233

Rating: Four Stars

Synopsis: Kendall loves her life in small town Cryer's Cross, Montana, but she also longs for something more. She knows the chances of going to school in New York are small, but she's not the type to give up easily. Even though it will mean leaving Nico, the world's sweetest boyfriend, behind.

But when Cryer's Cross is rocked by unspeakable tragedy, Kendall shoves her dreams aside and focuses on just one goal: help find her missing friends. Even if it means spending time with the one boy she shouldn't get close to... the one boy who makes her question everything she feels for Nico.

Determined to help and to stay true to the boy she's always loved, Kendall keeps up the search--and stumbles upon some frightening local history. She knows she can't stop digging, but Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried....

Review: Pretty scary stuff. The cover alone sends chills down my spine, not to mention the unique synopsis. The slow and suspenseful progression was the best part. I especially enjoyed the creepy paragraphs at the end of each chapter in the point of view of the ghosts themselves.

I loved Kendall, the main character, the most. Her brilliant quirk of having OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) added to the story greatly. She had to check the lock on her window six times before going to bed, and she had to get to school early so she could arrange the desks and dry erase markers. She was a tough female lead that girls like me could relate to. Like Kendall, I live in a small town, play soccer, and have some pretty big dreams.

I was constantly guessing how the story would turn out at the end, and I am pleased to say that none of my guesses were anywhere close to how it ended. That is what makes a great mystery: Grabbing your attention well enough to draw your own conclusions, then the actual conclusion surprising you because it was not what you had expected.

If you like suspenseful stories with a touch of romance, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with this one.