City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare MAG

By LilyLily SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LilyLily SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

The movie “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones,” based on Cassandra Clare's novel City of Bones, was released this August. The cast is full of promising young actors, and after taking a look at the trailer, I know that the movie looks promising as well. Before you step into the theater, I highly recommend you read the book. I read it for the first time a few years ago, but it continues to be one of my favorites. The story, characters, and style of writing are just three great reasons to read City of Bones.

The best word to describe the plot is suspenseful. It's packed with excitement. It's hard to explain the story without spoiling it, but I'll try to give an overview. Clary thinks of herself as normal. But when she meets Jace, she finds that she's anything but. Clary is pulled into the world of Shadowhunters, whose mandate is to rid the Earth of demons. Secrets are revealed, characters are betrayed, demons are fought, and a love story unfolds. Clary learns the truth about who she is and how she is connected to the Shadowhunters.

She and all of the other characters in this book make the story feel real. The three main characters in City of Bones are Clary, Jace, and Simon. Clary is a headstrong girl who is just discovering the truth about ­herself. Simon has been her best friend for as long as they both can remember. He's funny and innocent; I can't help but love him. Jace is introduced as an arrogant character full of witty, sarcastic, and sometimes plain mean remarks, but as the book progresses, I became just as attached to him as the others. Although the connections between characters are a bit rough at parts, Cassandra Clare's impeccable writing skills pull through in a book that will keep you guessing until the very end.

Everything happens for a reason, usually one that isn't clear unless you keep reading. Clare never ceases to amaze me; from the Mortal Instruments series to the Infernal ­Devices prequels, her writing continues to dazzle me. One minute I am laughing out loud, the next I am crying. Yes, there are similarities to Harry Potter and Star Wars, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying this amazing book. The writing is key.

The writing, the plot, and the characters all contribute to making City of Bones a book I will read again and again. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It is a must-read!

bo_olsen PLATINUM, Nampa, Idaho

"I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good"

I have to tell you that the movie absolutely SUCKED!!! The TV show is pretty good though.