CatWoman Vol. 1: The Game (The New 52) by Judd Winick | Teen Ink

CatWoman Vol. 1: The Game (The New 52) by Judd Winick

By pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

CatWoman Vol. 1: The Game (The New 52)
Written by: Judd Winick
Illustrated by: Guillem March
Recommended for fans of the themes: Superhero, Action, Suspense

Selina Kyle, or better known to the criminal world as CatWoman, is not your average villain…

CatWoman is a criminal, but not a bad guy. Although she does break the law at (numerous) times, and enjoys doing it, she (like Batman) has a strong moral code that prevents her from doing anything seriously wrong. In this version of the legendary anti-heroine, CatWoman lives her life for the thrill, making sure that each challenge is more dangerous than the next, without making sure to ensure her safety or that of her companions. The story initially starts out with CatWoman quickly gathering up some of her belongings as a bunch of genuine villains attack and then bomb her apartment. Desperate for a place to stay and a new heist, CatWoman calls on the help of her fence and intel man, Lola, an old and trusted friend. As CatWoman sets out on her latest mission, one involving a mess of Russian mobsters, she realizes that the stakes have changed. Confronted with an unfortunate blast from the past and her inner demons, CatWoman desperately tries to keep herself and others from serious harm.
CatWoman has been done so many times over that the world has lost count, but never before has she had a comic series entirely to herself. While there are scenes that involve CatWoman’s iconic partner, the mysterious and always handsome Batman, the comic focuses on the feline seductress. CatWoman, like her previous versions, still holds her spectacular femme fatale skills (which may appear a tad sexist at times), maintains an amazing figure to go along her charms, and, of course, wears the customary black-leather catsuit, whip included. Unlike her descendants, CatWoman has a particular edge to go along with her feminine wiles. CatWoman is a total thrill-seeker, always on the prowl for her next heist and adrenaline rush, a trait that often gets her into trouble. Also, the latest CatWoman is thoroughly modern, choosing to dress in a darker, edgier version than her more old-school dynasties. The story begins to delve into CatWoman’s more sordid beginnings, offering flashbacks and minor explanations of her inner demons. While the book places a lot of focus on bloody and more adult themes, the art style in which the scenes are done is thrilling, well-designed, and beautifully shaded. The main aspect of the story that I appreciated the most was the insight into CatWoman, or Selina Kyle’s, mind. Although, CatWoman comes off as a dangerous and audacious anti-hero, the story is successfully able to reveal that she’s still a sensitive woman trying to resolve her personal struggles.

I commend DC Comics for finally giving a little spotlight to one of their most famous female characters, although condemn them for making CatWoman too over-sexualized. I’d recommend CatWoman to anyone who’s a fan of the world of Superheroes and Villains, looking for a little action in their plotline, or seeking a female icon. I look forward to seeing how the writer/artist combo will continue CatWoman’s saga, hopefully with a few more glances at the relationship between CatWoman and the enigmatically, captivating Batman.

*Warning: Some scenes in this comic can be regarded as inappropriate to younger audiences, and should be regarded with caution by those uncomfortable with more adult themes.