Coraline • by Neil Gaiman | Teen Ink

Coraline • by Neil Gaiman MAG

By KaavyaM SILVER, Hyderabad, Other
KaavyaM SILVER, Hyderabad, Other

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

A recent rearrangement of my bookshelf revealed 10 books I wasn’t aware I owned. One from Sidney Sheldon, John Grisham, and an apparently thrilling Jeffrey Archer twinkled at me from the painstakingly arranged rows, begging to be read. But start a Sidney Sheldon, and I knew my textbooks would gather dust, exams forgotten. So I picked up a small, unassuming book I’d bought years ago and forgotten about. Its childish, cartoony cover promised a refreshing, light read.

Inquisitive, forthright, and characterized by the uncomplicated voice that children lose as they become bungling adults, Coraline held me spellbound from the start. The book starts off with Coraline being bored with the world around her, irritated by her loving but busy parents’ disinterest in entertaining her, and altogether longing for adventure. The first time she finds the mysterious door, it opens only to a brick wall. However, when she tries it again, she walks into a house just like hers. A mother and father, just like hers, except with black button eyes, want her to stay with them and be their little girl.

The book goes from mildly creepy to fantastically terrifying in a span of about 20 pages, and will leave you lost to the world around you, rooting for the spunky little girl who, despite her normally childlike outlook, occasionally makes intelligent observations like “I don’t want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted just like that, and it didn’t mean anything? What then?”

Coraline’s direct language is refreshing. There are no attempts to use fancy metaphors to describe beauty, no mincing words, and no attempts to impress by using innumerable similes and whatnot. But it is real, rendered in simplistic, honest language that has an impact that a hundred literary devices couldn’t have managed. This gem of a book is sweet, simple, and utterly horrifying.

Picked this book up expecting a childish story, only to be pulled into a thrilling horror story that would rival many others.

BicycleThief SILVER, Red Bank, New Jersey

"People in their right minds never take pride in their talents."
Harper Lee

Coraline is one of my favorite books (and movies) of all time, but I didn't think that there were too many people who shared the same opinion; it is a little too dark for some people's taste. Nice to know I was wrong, though, nice job.

KaavyaM SILVER said...
KaavyaM SILVER, Hyderabad, Other

Thank you, Shagun! Wow, that's like the highest praise a Book Review could get. Yeah, I get what you mean by the comma misuse I'll be more careful about that. But thank you!

BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

Great review ! It makes me want to go to flipkart right this moment and order this book (which i probably will) If I absolutly HAD to pick a fault i could say that you need to be a little careful with your comma use. For eg- "gather dust in the corner, exams, forgotten." Could have been written as "...gather dust in the corner. Exams, forgotten..."  or "...gather dust in the corner and exams would be forgotten..." But like i said, great review.