Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro | Teen Ink

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

By Nayeon Janet Kim BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Nayeon Janet Kim BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Never let this book go

Kazuo Ishiguro, the author of Never Let Me Go, illustrates innocent characters in an isolated, futuristic setting. The story was mainly about three children in a boarding school for clones, Hailsham. The three main characters, Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth, try to understand themselves and their roles in life, but ultimately realize that they are just clones, destined to be sacrificed for someone else, and accept their destiny. Overall, this novel was not easy to read because the time frame keeps changing back and forth, requiring more concentration to catch whether the scene is in the present or the past.
Ishiguro writes candidly and concretely, without twists or interesting turns of phrase. Thus, I thought phrases were consistent, but not necessarily clear. The story itself is neither conventional nor stunning, but it reminded me of true love, hope, innocence, and desire. Through the idea of cloning, Ishiguro also incorporates his own view and opinion of the future, warning readers from abusing science and technology. I think he highlights the evils or vices that lurk behind innocence, which supports my moral beliefs. Although most of the book parallels reality, some aspects, such as cloning, are still just fantasies. Ishiguro’s descriptions definitely caught my attention; I could paint pictures of every scene in my head, especially when the main characters realize their fate and accept it. Ishiguro’s rich illustrations of the details are incredible because I could easily imagine the scenes in my head.
In the heart-breaking end, Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth realize the only thing they have is the memory of each other. I thought the topic of cloning provoked me and made me even more suspicious about developing modern science. I highly recommend this book to science fiction lovers, although some may dislike Ishiguro’s direct, blunt style of writing. You will understand better what I am saying once you read the book.