The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

August 14, 2014
By Dejay BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Dejay BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a novel about romance and a celebration of life. The book centers on the protagonists Hazel Lancaster and Augustus Waters, cancer patients who live in Indianapolis. They have a few friends and both their parents throughout the story, supporting them. Hazel and Augustus first meet at a cancer support group and their love story starts from there; which consists of dates, adventures, happiness, laughs, tears, and tragedy.

The author, John Green, wrote many books that are beautiful, catastrophic love stories as well. He is New York’s Best Selling Author for his story, Looking for Alaska. He has received many prestigious awards for his other novels.

The Fault in Our Stars teaches us that love can happen to anyone and that “the world is not a wish-granting factory” (-Augustus Waters, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green). It also tells us to celebrate and live life fully and don’t let anything stop you from not doing so. Hazel and Augustus are/were sick but they still fell in love with each other, proving the point that love happens to anyone. They did everything together and lived life fully right beside each other, teaching us to celebrate life. In the story, some things didn’t go their way but they made the best out of it; hence “the world is not a wish-granting factory”.

In my opinion, this book was exquisite and melancholy. The love story was extraordinary and the whole book contains life lessons, which is why you should read it. It taught me to hope for the best and prepare for the worst because not everything goes our way. The Fault in Our Stars is relatable to anyone. It includes cigarette metaphors and horrible driving, egging an ex-girlfriend’s car for breaking a promise, and followed by first airplane rides, dates on a skeleton’s body, and amazing relatable quotes throughout everything. If you are confused by the previous sentence, then I recommend reading the book so you understand, okay? Okay.