The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin | Teen Ink

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

By Armadeus_Zoolitzer GOLD, Ratter Corner, Other
Armadeus_Zoolitzer GOLD, Ratter Corner, Other

"Arose by any other name is still the past tense of arise." Steve Patterson on CBC's The Debators "The devil's greatest trick was chopping the water into separate bathtubs. Then attaching claws to those bathtubs." Bob Schofield's The Inevitable June

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry Review

This is, simply put, an all-around feel-good book that will leave you with tears welling in your eyes and hope in your heart. It's impossible not to fall in love with the small but impressionable cast of characters.

The story takes place on a small island called Alice Island and revolves around it's only bookstore owner. A.J is the towns recluse, ans a grump on the outside, He's still haunted by the death of his late wife, but later we get to see him come out of his shell. I think all readers can relate to him, sometimes choosing to hide amongst and lose himself in his books rather than facing real life and real people. Ultimately, though, it's about digging deep in your heart to find enough love for all the books, all the stories, and all the people that make life worth living.

The way the story's told is super- may I say adorable and keep my masculinity? Yes? Then I'll say it- super adorable too. The chapters and the little introductions to them. They mean much more than you'll think at first. I don't want to spoil anything, but let me just say you get a real sense of full-circle-ness by the end.

An impossibly absorbing and emotional read. I highly recommend it. This is a book for all booklovers. I've enjoyed my stay on Alice Island immensely and I can't wait to revisit it again and again.

I truly loved this book. I recommend it to everyone. This is without a doubt a book for all booklovers.